Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

Show us Your Landscape - A photo Thread - December 2014

pixie_lou
9 years ago

Welcome to the New England Gardening "Show Us Your Gardens" Photo Thread.

This is a place to post photos, and to discuss, what is in your New England garden. This is the thread for December 2014. All New England garden photos are welcome. Since Winter will be here before we know it, our focus will be shifting away from flowers and we expect to see more photos of viual interest. However, all New England landscape and garden photos are welcome. If it is a photo taken in a New England garden or yard in the month of December, it is fair game to post it here.

Here is the link for last years thread - December 2013

For previous 2014 threads:
November 2014<?a>

A directory of all 2013 threads is in the thread.

For all of the 2011 and 2012 threads - gardenweb will no longer transfer threads. Be patient with me - I will make a direcotry and post it in the .

Comments (19)

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The grass was looking especially green for the first of December!

• spedigrees z4VT
    9 years ago

Our Thanksgiving snow is all gone, and we have green grass here too. Christmas lights are the main attraction now.

• defrost49
    9 years ago

WHAT! green grass??? Here, near Concord NH, we have snow. Got 10" the day before Thanksgiving.

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Just a few photos from the garden today. The colors are pretty muted, but that is to be expected.

Pinus strobus Wintergold
    {{gwi:2129318}}

These ferns love the rocks. It helps them to stay green all year.
    {{gwi:2129319}}

The Lichens are likin' the rocks too.
    {{gwi:2129320}}

The deck garden in winter.
    {{gwi:2129321}}

Miscanthus Morning Light seedheads
    {{gwi:2129322}}

Thuja plicata 4 Ever
    {{gwi:2129323}}

Happy Holiday season to all, and may all our plants sleep safe and sound this winter.

Steve

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Steve, I love the textures in your winter deck garden.

We woke last Saturday morning to light snow that followed rain, so every branch and twig was lightly outlined in white.
    {{gwi:2129324}}From mid-December, 2014

I also took some photos of the waning moon just after sunrise.
    {{gwi:2129325}}From mid-December, 2014

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still waiting for winter weather here. Winter seems more tolerable when you can look out of a glistening landscape like the one Babs posted!

I did have a thin layer of ice on the pond 2 weeks ago. (Just open water now)
    {{gwi:2129326}}

The ferns are still green. Though I bought this one for its supposed beautiful reddish autumn foliage!
    {{gwi:2129327}}

I still have one Brown Eyed Susan that his hanging on! (Picture taken on Tuesday this week)
    {{gwi:2129328}}

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    9 years ago

Lovely muted colors, Steve - appropriate for this season.

nhbabs is showing us the next season to come, the season where white snow is the backdrop, not green grass. I'm not ready for that yet.

pixie_lou: I have the same ferns and they stay green most of the winter - the reddish color comes in the spring with new growth. The late green is still very welcome.

The Autumn Joy sedums are really deep colored now and I like them with the Grey Owl junipers.
    {{gwi:2129329}}

The foxgloves are still green next to more sedums.
    {{gwi:2129330}}

Epimediums are green too.
    {{gwi:2129331}}

Ilex opaca 'Goldie' is evergreen, but the yellow berries last most of the winter.
    {{gwi:2129332}}

Showing a hope of flowers in the spring is the Rhododendron 'Percy Wiseman' encased in its squirrel-proof cage. Luckily, the squirrels don't seem to eat any other rhododendron buds. I don't think I could handle building cages around all the rhododendrons I have.
    {{gwi:2129333}}

{{gwi:2129334}}

Now that the leaves are down, the view from my deck has vastly expanded to show the beach and the bay.
    {{gwi:2129335}}

{{gwi:2129336}}

Now if I could just comfortably sit out on the deck all winter....

Claire

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Claire, what lovely views you have!

Susan

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Claire - do the yellow berries last since then birds find them uappealing?

Due to the lack of foliage, and the low angle of the sun this time of year, the shade garden actually spends half the day in the bright sunshine! The vinca and hellebores shining brightly in the sun.

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not necessarily the landscape, but live plants!

Pointsettas lined up on the mantle.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    9 years ago

pixie_lou: The holly berries do get eaten but not until late winter. I have pictures of a squirrel eating them in March. I don't know if they just ripen very late or if the birds are more desperate for fruit by then. I'll try to keep an eye on them this year to get a better idea of the timing.

I like the parade above your poinsettias.

Claire

• diggingthedirt
    9 years ago

For the first time, my Helleborus niger aka Christmas Rose are blooming at Christmas

{{gwi:2129337}}

My Jasminum nudiflorum isn't blooming yet, but I gave a rooted cutting to a friend, and hers is in flower now:

{{gwi:2129338}}

This little bulb is blooming in one of the street-side gardens in downtown Falmouth - not sure what it is

{{gwi:2129339}}

The winter heath is in bloom, I just haven't gotten any photos yet, mainly because the leaf clean-up isn't finished - still lots of leaves on my big sweet gum.

• diggingthedirt
    9 years ago

I especially like this little H. niger, because it's a volunteer

{{gwi:2129340}}

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey DTD - I was actually in Falmouth the past few days. I was tempted to go searching for your blossosm downtown! But we just drove thru instead! We were at Ashumet Holly Reservations this afternoon. Many of the hollies were set still full of berries.

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Returned from doing errands around 4 pm today and spotted this pretty half moon. I know it's not really part of my landscape, but it is part of my view!

Susan

• Richard Dollard
    9 years ago

Pyracantha and wintergreen still have beautiful color.

• Richard Dollard
    9 years ago

Had one that was full on the trellis years ago but a fungus got it and killed it. This variety is supposed to be resistant but only time will tell.

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Susan - what an amazing moon shot

J&J - that pyracantha is so full of berries - I had to look twice thinking it was a Christmas decoration! Will the birds come feast on all the berries?

Magnolia blossoms against the bluish sky.

• Richard Dollard
    9 years ago

Pixie Lou, I don't think they touch the berries, I thought I read once they can get drunk off them. Once the berries start to turn darker and fall off near the spring I pot them up and grow them. I gave away lots of Pyracantha at the garden swap year ago and also on freecycle.