Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
persimmons

Purchasing or saving seeds

Persimmons
10 years ago

Last year when I joined the New England gardenweb forum, I was hard pressed to find articles about savings seeds or purchasing seeds. I wanted to make a post because as I'm currently going through the process it's come to my mind.

I'm purchasing a variety of plant and gardening material this year from a few different vendors.

1. 3 Apple trees, from Orange Pippin trees: When I originally placed my order, I was sent an email with various confirmation steps. I was not immediately charged for the purchase. Instead, the company was holding off the payment until the trees were scheduled to arrive (sometime in spring 2014).

I emailed a month ago when I had extra money to see if I could make an initial payment on my relatively inexpensive total purchase (about $100 for 3 trees plus delivery) and I was given the ability to do so. When I paid off the bill in full my receipt was updated to show that the company has scheduled the specific week to deliver my tree. They even let me push back the delivery date of the trees to fit the local microclimate.

If the trees I purchase live a healthy life, I'll plan to do business with Orange Pippin in the future. Mom's got two non-fruiting cherry trees that are dying to pollinate something.

2. Most of my vegetable seed, from Seed Savers Exchange. It was a catalog that I subscribed to on the internet. It came in the mail, and featured seeds that were relatively cheaper than other seed retailers but also much more diverse.

I was able to find some interesting varieties of gourd and melon that might grow better in my wet conditions. And, they sold Borage cheaper than Johnny's seeds!

I have just sent in the catalog order form, so I'll have to update in the future to let you guys know how this purchase proceeds.

3. Miscellaneous seed, from Johnny's Seeds. I also received their catalog in the mail, but Johnny's website is one that I waste my winter days dreaming of. I ordered a few packets of flowers that I want to try, and ordered some ultra-cold tolerant crops that might come in handy if winter lingers in April. I like Johnny's ordering 'cart', very similar to other online retailers. I dislike the price of the seeds in comparison to other lower-tech companies, but I'm looking forward to the produce that grows from such hardy, researched seeds.

4. Perennials, from Nourse Farms: I want to have a bed of asparagus eventually, but the best time to plant the asparagus bed was yesterday. They sell crowns on the cheap side, compared to other places I've looked into. I think it's a bonus that they sell such a large variety of blueberry bushes, strawberries, etc that they can provide you with a great deal no matter what you were to buy.

Where else do people shop for seeds?

And, can we eventually make this thread about saving seeds, a 'how to' and a 'what i do' sort of thread?

Comments (5)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

If you google "garden watchdog" (GW won't let me link) it is a site that you can check out real gardeners' experience with different seed and plant vendors. I look there before I use any new mail order vendor.

Onions & leeks: Dixondale Farm - Good quality and always give me way more per bundle than indicated. I share extras with friends.
    Potatoes: Wood Prairie Farm - Not the cheapest, but great disease-free varieties, great website information like storage capability and best uses for each variety; family run organic farm in the upper reaches of Maine.

I tend to use Johnny's for most of my seeds since I have had really good luck with their short season varieties; seeds that don't have the time to produce aren't a bargain for me, but that is probably less of a concern for you since you most probably have 6 weeks or so longer to grow things.

I will be reading other posts for suggestions. I have meant to try other seed catalogs, but life has gotten in the way of investigating other companies for the last few years.

I'd love suggestions for a good short season black bean and where to get it as well, if anyone else has grown one.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

And, can we eventually make this thread about saving seeds, a 'how to' and a 'what i do' sort of thread?

While I don't grow vegetables, I do grow from seed. I completely filled all my perennial beds with plants grown from seed obtained primarily through trades with other gardeners here on GardenWeb. Check out the Seed Exchange forum and shop for seeds you can either trade for or else purchase for the cost of postage.

FYI - I traded for seeds, winter sowed them, potted up the seedlings, planted them in my beds once they got some size to them and filled all my perennial beds to overflowing in just 3 years' time, literally for pennies.

Primarily I traded for perennial seeds and also harvested and traded seeds from my own plants. I sowed the seeds via the Winter Sowing* method and ended up with more perennials than I had room to plant or could give away.

Harvesting seeds isn't particularly difficult but requires patience. The seedpods must be allowed to remain on the plant until they're completely dry & the seeds within are fully ripe. That can be a bit tricky since not all seed types ripen simultaneously. Example: seeds of Siberian iris aren't ripe until some time in late summer/early fall whereas Aquilegia/Columbine seeds ripen much earlier in the season. I harvest ripe seedpods, then allow them to dry for a few weeks in/on paper bowls or plates on stainless steel racks inside my garage.

* Winter Sowing is a proven, USDA-accredited method of growing trees, shrubs, perennials, vegetables & annuals from seed in winter. Check out the Winter Sowing forum here on GardenWeb for how to do it and how it works.

A neighbor left an envelope in my kitchen door a few years ago that had 4 apple tree and 10 pear tree seeds. The note asked me to grow them for him. The trees are now as tall as I am. Spirea, St. John's wort, butterfly bush, & ornamental dogwood trees are growing in my garden beds, all grown from winter sown seeds.

With some exceptions, most things can be grown from seed (minus a hothouse or electricity) given the optimal growing conditions. Winter sowing allows seeds to germinate when the hours of daylight + temperature + moisture tells them the time is right. It's natural and hands the controls back to Mother Nature.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    10 years ago

Persimmons, you said:

"And, can we eventually make this thread about saving seeds, a 'how to' and a 'what i do' sort of thread? "

As the editor for the New England Gardening Forum, I can add a seed saving FAQ. I don't want to write it myself but I can either just save the whole thread or I can add something someone else has written up.

Something to keep in mind.

Claire

• muffin1358
    10 years ago

I found this useful for saving tomato seeds:

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Save Tomato Seeds - GardenWeb

• muffin1358
    10 years ago

Looks like there is no need to start from scratch for an FAQ page...

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Saving FAQ - GardenWeb