Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

Project FeederWatch#2 2008/2009

The Project FeederWatch 2008/2009 thread is getting a bit long and slow to load, so I'm starting a new one.

Staying with the suet motif:

Tufted Titmouse

and where there's a titmouse, there's usually a Black-capped Chickadee

and where there are small birds and food, a Blue Jay will usually take over.

and there is always a squirrel nearby.

Besides the suet feeder, there's always the winterberry (at least for a little while longer).

The winterberry is slowly being whittled away, although the berries are probably not quite at that perfect ripeness point. Either that or the birds are not really desperate yet.

Northern Cardinal

American Robin

Eventually the berries will all be eaten, and my landscape will be greatly diminished. At least the birdscape will always be there.

Claire

Comments (39)

• sooey
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi claire,

Great shots as always. The Winterberry next door is still full and red. I'll be watching it tomorrow for any activity.

My birds must be finding seed more to their liking at the feeders of others. My numbers are still way down. Not much activity out there and I can't figure out why. Still have the usual Titmouse & Chickadee and isn't it interesting how the two go together? I think my Goldfinch are back but not in the same high numbers I was getting last year. I saw a pair of House Finch at the feeder today so I hope this is the start of their return as well. In checking my PFW data from last year I find that I had both AG & HF right from the start of the season. I guess every year is different.

One big change, our neigbhors next door have moved. They were expert birders and had been feeding forever. They moved into assisted living in Orleans. Now that I think about it...I'll bet they took the birds with them.

sooey

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sooey: I'm sure the birds would love assisted living - isn't that what we're doing for them now?

Do you know what kind of seed your neighbors used? Do you still have water out for them (the birds, not the neighbors)?

My bird numbers are slowly increasing, so maybe it's just a weather/food-in-woods issue. There are lots of seeds on plants out there, as I discovered when I was putting Christmas lights on a small cherry. I was covered with little fluffy seeds when I finished.

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

HI Claire,

Yes, a lot of good eating for the birds out in the woods for a few more weeks at least. Yes, I keep the water clean and full. Suet may be empty for a day before I refill. Always safflower seed and thistle in the two tube feeders. I may be a little slower in getting the sunflower tube refilled...it's a bit more labor intensive. No real change from last year. I'm not sure what my neigbhors were feeding but I'm sure it was about the same as I offer. I'll see them this week so, I will ask.

Thanks, claire.

sooey

• terrene
    15 years ago

Sooey, that is odd that you are seeing so many fewer birds. Although PFW says all data is important, including counts that report few or no birds.

Got my packet from PFW this past week, and have browsed through that. I'm a bit confused - is there some handbook I'm supposed to return at the end of the season? I planned to enter everything online, don't want to deal with paper other than the tally sheet. I'm on my 3rd week counting (Sun-Mon each week) and the numbers and species seem pretty consistent. Nothing unusual yet, although I guess Bluebirds are not considered common feeder birds because they aren't on the PFW poster.

This yard always attracted a lot of birds because of the dense vegetation, but since I've removed many invasive plants/trees, and started planting numerous native gardens, also leaving tangly thicket areas, dead snags standing and downed logs and wood piles, brush piles, etc. there are more birds than ever. Birds like the messy areas but they also like the areas I'm opening up where they can pick through the gardens or mulch or leaves. One pleasant afternoon I was watching literally hundreds of birds in the back yard NOT on the feeders (and outside the count area). All kinds, hopping, flitting, pecking everywhere. The Goldfinches love the seedheads of many native plants, and even watched a female Bluebird dive into one of the gardens and retrieve a bug. That ended quickly when a big Cooper's Hawk flew through the yard though. They disappeared in a heartbeat!

Original Author
    15 years ago

Sooey: Safflower seed and thistleseed have limited appeal - the sunflower seed is the most widely appreciated. If that feeder is empty when the birds stop by, and there's none next door, then they may go elsewhere.

Also, like terrene, I see many birds feeding on the ground, where I obligingly spread great handfuls of goodies. Some of the native sparrows have never gone to my hanging feeders (at least while I was looking).

terrene: I've never returned any handbook to PFW. I do all my entry online. I think last year they asked for a confirmation of the site description (online) at the end of the season. Or something like that. No big deal.

And Bluebirds are NOT common feeder birds, even if you have multitudes. I've never even seen one (not counting the Bluebirds that were juvenile Camp Fire Girls when I was a kid).

I'm always amazed at how fast the birds come back after the Cooper's Hawk leaves. "OK, it's out of sight, let's get back to the food before it comes back."

Claire

Original Author
    15 years ago

It was warm today - 60 degrees! When I changed the water in one birdbath, with room temperature water from inside the house, some Blue Jays decided to get cleaned up before winter arrives.

To start out, one bird jumped in,

and splashed around a bit.

I guess it was enough - someone else's turn.

Blue Jay #2 in action.

Hey, who's watching us!

One final splash.

OK, the show's over.

Claire

• mskee
    15 years ago

Claire,
    I really enjoy your photos--thanks for continuing to post them!

If that were my back yard, the squirrel would empty that suet in a matter of minutes! I have a suet feeder that is a "cage within a cage"...helps keep the robbers to a minimum.

More snow coming tomorrow and Friday...should be lots of good activity!

Emily

• sooey
    15 years ago

Hi Kids,

I do believe that the birds are back. Yesterday we had great flurries of activity. All sorts of birds in good numbers. I also think I saw a Yellow Rump Warbler but it was so fleeting that I did not have time to confirm. We even had the Brown Creeper flitting about. Today is my count day and I am having great fun. One bird that still seems to be an issue is the House Finch. I have seen only two pair since the count started. I know they have had eye infection issues for the past few seasons and I am wondering if that has taken a toll. I will check with PFW on that later today.

Terrene, no handbook needs to be returned to PFW. If you report your counts on line, that's it. Those numbers are all they are looking for. Easy as pie....hummmm pie... I find the poster they send in the packet to be helpful but limited. I'm sure the birds pictured are the most common and dependable over a wide range of the North East. Bluebirds are not listed but are very common in many NE locations. Bluebirds are not feeder birds unless your feeder is a mealworm station. Then they will perch and feast as long as there are worms to be had. It sounds like your yard is perfect habitat for lots of different birds.

Claire, like you, I had not seen a Sparrow on any of my feeders, only on the ground until the end of last season. That was when I put the seed trays on two of my tube feeders. Now, I have two Song sparrows that will sit in the trays and just eat and eat and eat. They like the Finch mix and the Safflower. The reason I limit my seed offering to sunflower, Safflower, Thistle and Finch Mix is to keep the House Sparrow away. They can be such a nasty, territorial bird at nesting time that do what I can to keep them away. I don't ever want to hear that incessant chirp, chirp, chirp in my yard. So far, so good. But, I will ask at the Bird Watchers General Store if there is something else that would be safe to add. Any ideas? I remember you had a great Fruit & Nut mix that you got form Agway last year. Am I remembering that correctly? I could not find it at our local shops but I havent given up yet.

OK, Kids, I am off to wrap Christmas gifts and to count birds. Have fun.

sooey

Original Author
    15 years ago

Sooey - that's great that your birds are back! Maybe the ransom that terrene and I paid made a difference for you (600 black oil sunflower seeds, 4 buckets of rendered suet, and forty handfuls of thistleseed).

The fruit and nut mixture I used last year was a Wild Delight product called Nut N' Berry. Good stuff, but it got too expensive when the price of gas started going up (and the turkeys started coming here). I switched to a nice seed mix I get at Ocean State Job Lot in Buzzards Bay (somebody's Signature Blend) 40 pounds for $25. By memory it has sunflower seed, safflower seed, white millet, safflower seed, cracked corn, peanut parts (I'm too lazy to go out in the dark and check the label.) I also spread plain cracked corn on the ground - really cheap, and I keep a thistleseed sock, not so cheap. I sprinkle some thistleseed on the path right outside my computer window. And of course the two suet baskets (storebought suet).

I haven't put a seed tray on the tube feeder because I want the bigger birds to stay on the hopper feeder or the ground. Otherwise the Blue Jays and Grackles would completely take over the tube feeder.

I saw a few Cedar Waxwings today on the winterberry, along with another robin. They didn't stay too long, probably just testing for ripeness. I expect an invasion sometime soon, and then I'll lose my current main landscape feature. I've probably gotten too dependent on the winterberry; it's just so beautiful this time of year.

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

Hi Kids,

Yes, the ransom has paid off, the birds are back! Thank you. Today I was rewarded with a grand, Northern Flicker at the suet. A real Beauty! I also was able to get a good long look at what I thought was a YRW and indeed, it was. He was back today, after the suet that falls onto the deck. Glad to see him staying around. It will be interesting to see if any of the other YRWs are still here, or back, whichever it is.

I saw some really good looking 'Fruit, Nut and Berry' bird mix at Shaws today. *only* $9.99 for what looked like a 2 or a 5# bag. I took a pass.

The Winterberry next door is almost picked clean. The birds have loved it. I'll miss seeing that beautiful red against the gray landscape but the birds have enjoyed such bounty.

OK, I am off to count. Enjoy!

sooey

Original Author
    15 years ago

Sooey: I've never seen Northern Flickers at my suet - very rarely I've seen one in the distance, usually in the Eastern red cedars eating berries. A very striking bird.

I asked PFW about the Yellow-rumped Warbler here, and I was told that they can winter as far north as MA, and they've even seen a few at Cornell. I haven't seen one again, but I keep hoping.

I stocked up on birdseed in anticipation of the coming snow storms. People food, check, cat food, check, bird food, check ..... According to the latest weather discussions, we may get up to a foot of snow on Friday/Saturday, and it will all turn to slush and/or melt with the next storm on Sunday. I just hope the disaster areas don't get much of this snow.

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

Well Crap! I guess I better check the forcast. I heard that snow was on it's way but not until mid afternoon tomorrow. I did not know the expected amount could be up to a foot. Yikes. Another storm on Sunday? Why did I not know about that? I need a reality check.

sooey
    who filled all feeders today and all suet stations. Ready for what ever Mother Nature tosses our way.

Original Author
    15 years ago

This is what I've been reading:

"Area forecast discussion
    National Weather Service Taunton Massachusetts
    435 PM EST Thursday Dec 18 2008

Synopsis...
    a snowstorm is in the offing Friday into Friday evening as low pressure
    passes south of Cape Cod during the evening. Another rapidly
    intensifying coastal storm will track across eastern new eng Sunday
    bringing the potential for more significant snow in the
    interior...with snow changing to rain in the coastal plain. Windy
    and turning much colder Sunday night and Monday. Dry high pressure
    Tuesday then another weather system may affect the region
    Wednesday. "

"Short term /6 am Friday morning through Friday night/...
    ***a high impact snowstorm will affect southern New England Friday
    middle morning through Friday night***

A surface low sliding south of southern New England late Friday
    ahead of a strong shortwave will result in a 6-12 inch snowstorm
    beginning middle-morning Friday. Snow will begin across the
    Connecticut River valley between 10am and noon and extend east
    across southern New England reaching the Boston/Providence corridor
    between 12 noon and 2pm. Once snow begins...snowfall rates of 1 to
    2 inches per hour are possible through the afternoon and early
    evening. Because of this timing...the morning rush hour looks to be
    completely in the clear...while some of the heaviest snowfall will
    occur during the evening rush hour. "

It probably won't be a big deal, but since I live on a lightly traveled dirt road in a rural area, I have to anticipate being unplowed, and maybe without power, for a while. In a dire emergency there's always the leftover Halloween candy....

Claire

Original Author
    15 years ago

The official Winter Storm Warning, including some winds:

" Winter Storm Warning
    Statement as of 3:07 PM EST on December 18, 2008

... Winter Storm Warning in effect from 10 am Friday to 3 am EST
    Saturday...

The National Weather Service in Taunton has issued a Winter Storm
    Warning for heavy snow... which is in effect from 10 am Friday to 3 am EST
    Saturday. The Winter Storm Watch is no longer in effect. The warning
    is in effect for all of southern New England.

Snow is expected to develop from west to east late Friday morning and early
    afternoon. Latest indications are for snow to begin in the greater
    Hartford Springfield areas and the i91 corridor between 10 am and
    noon. Snow will then overspread the remainder of southern New England...
    including eastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island between noon and 2
    PM.

The snow will become heavy not too long after the onset. Thus travel
    is not recommended during the afternoon throughout southern New
    England. Snowfall rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour are likely from mid Friday
    afternoon into the early evening. Roads during the Friday late day/evening
    commute will be snow covered and treacherous. The snow should taper
    to snow showers across the interior during the evening hours... but
    the steady snow will continue along the coast well into the
    night... .especially across southeast Massachusetts... including Cape
    Cod and Nantucket.

In addition... strong northeast winds of 20 to 30 mph with gusts near
    45 mph will develop Friday evening and night across eastern
    Massachusetts and Rhode Island. This will result in considerable blowing
    and drifting snow... yielding visibility near zero at times and
    bitterly cold wind chills. The strongest winds are expected on the
    cape and islands.

At this time... it looks as though most of southern New England
    will receive 6 to 12 inches of snowfall by midnight Friday
    night... with the highest amounts across Rhode Island and southeast
    Massachusetts. For Marthas Vineyard... Nantucket... Block Island... and
    perhaps even Cape Cod... rain and sleet may mix in with the snow from
    time to time. This would result in slightly lower snow accumulations
    there.

This snowstorm is still about 24 hours away... so some of the details
    will likely have to be refined... such as the arrival time of the snow and
    the rain snow line across Cape Cod and the islands. If the system
    tracks a little faster than currently forecasted... snow will arrive a
    few hours sooner. Nevertheless... at this time... travel is not recommended
    anytime Friday afternoon and evening... as we expect heavy snow
    treacherous Road conditions during this time.

A Winter Storm Warning is issued when an average of 6 or more
    inches of snow is expected in a 12 hour period... or for 8 or more
    inches in a 24 hour period. Travel will be slow at best on well
    treated surfaces... and quite difficult on any unplowed or
    untreated surfaces."

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

I'll say it again...Carp. I have to be out of the house in the morning but should be back home by 12:30. After that, it can snow all it wants. We beter make sure we have shovels at the ready. We will need to keep a few paths clear to the feeders and suet...snow or no snow, the birds can't go without!

Thanks for the update, Claire. Enjoy and, better keep that Halloween candy close at hand.
    sooey

• terrene
    15 years ago

Sooey, great to hear that your birds are back. And you've seen a YRW, Flicker and Brown creeper! Nice!

Claire your Ilex verticillata is a great specimen. How lucky to have one like that. I love occasionally seeing Cedar waxwings in the yard, and on one fantastic day last winter, they came onto the suet log.

I had to be out of the house today too until the last minute, getting a rental home prepared for occupancy this weekend. The weather has not been cooperating with this project in the least, with lost power last weekend and snow twice this week. What a mess! I am so looking forward to relaxing this weekend a bit, tending to some Christmas details (not ONE thing done yet), and doing a feeder watch.

Sooey, I feed the birds BOSS (black oil sunflower seed) and home-made suet mix only. Sometimes I throw seed, peanuts, or crackers/chips on the ground for the squirrels and the ground feeders.

The Bluebirds eat the suet mixture. They like this very much, and this is their 3rd winter coming, although they probably prefer insects and meal worms. I have one family of House sparrows that nested in the huge tangly Rosa multiflora in front (wish I could get rid of both though, just can't remove multiflora rose yet because it provides critical windscreen). The HOSPs visit the suet log fairly regularly, but rarely eat the BOSS. I try to shoo them off, and so far they are fairly innocuous. There are currently at least 5 and probably more Bluebirds that visit daily on the suet log. Five is the max I've seen on the log/tray feeder this season.

This picture is from last February - haven't taken any pictures of birds recently. Camera broke, and using an old old one, but I'm hoping Santa will bring me a new camera. :)

Original Author
    15 years ago

Great photo terrene - it looks as if the Cedar Waxwings and Bluebirds are ostentatiously ignoring each other.

The waxwings look as if they're glowing from internal lights.

Windy and sloppy here - not much snow yet, and the temperatures are staying just above freezing, at least near the house (where my thermometers are). As the temperatures drop tonight and the wind gets going, there will probably be a burst of blowing snow on an ice platform. As sooey would say, Carp.

Plenty of food out there now, and I threw extra under the shrubs. I had stopped that because of the turkeys, which nearly destroyed one leucothoe with the scratching. No turkeys now for about 3 weeks.

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

I saw the first snow start to fall at about 2:30 this afternoon. So far it's only snow, but lots of it. I was able to top off all of the tube feeders before it began so the birds should be happy through the storm. The suet is full and I spread a lot of seed on the deck, on the ground and under the bushes. I just wish there were more berries left on the winterberry next door. I'll have to draw a map to Clairs house and stick it on the bush.

terrene, those are great shots. Cedar Waxwings always look like they are dressed for a fancy costume party. Beautiful and grand.

sooey

Original Author
    15 years ago

Not much snow here, maybe 2 inches of concentrated not-quite-slush. The bluestone pavers are partly exposed, and the thistleseed is available to a flock of American Goldfinches and a Junco.

A White-throated Sparrow is lurking in a bed.

The winterberry is getting more transparent, but is still a major staging area.

Blue Jay and Robin on winterberry

Two robins have staked out the winterberry and have been there all morning. This is one of them.

And on the other side of the winterberry, the Blue Jays have been working on the hopper feeder. They're sorting through the seed mix and kicking out what they don't want.

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

Our snow is still falling on the outer Cape. Ocean effect. The birds have been having a wonderful time feasting on all the seed. For the first time I have Juncos on my deck. I have only seen them once or twice before, on the ground under the feeders. But today they are all over the place. I tossed some thistle seed on the deck. I guess I should say that I tossed some thistle seed on top of the snow that is on the deck and they have been all over it in large numbers. Too bad this is not a count day for me. I think we have about 9" of snow cover. It's nice.

Claire...love the white-throated sparrow. I haven't seen any yet this season.

sooey

• sooey
    15 years ago

It's now 35* on our part of the 'almost' outer Cape with a mix of snow & rain. The trees are still heavy with yesterdays snow but the wind which is now making its self known will soon take care of that. A bit of a mess but the birds don't seem to mind. I have a quick errand to run in town after which I hope I can get to the Boss tube feeder for a re-fill. The current weather is not a problem but the flash freeze that is forcast for later today could be.

How is everyone doing? I hope you are all warm and dry.

sooey

Original Author
    15 years ago

It's about 35 degrees here too, and the wind has died down for a while. It's been snowing very lightly all morning, but it seems to be changing to rain now.

Strong winds this morning, and the bay was restless.

The gulls were soaring and even hanging over the waves - I don't know if they were looking for fish or just enjoying the updraft.

These might be a Great Black-backed Gull between two Herring Gulls. I'm not very good at shore birds.

There's such a difference between the front yard and back yard of my house - I almost have to shift gears when I'm looking out. These shots were taken from my bedroom window. Feeder shots are from the kitchen or computer.

I'm getting a little cabin fever right now. I may just drive out to see how the rest of the neighborhood is doing (and go to Shaw's).

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

Gosh claire, the bay looks a little angry. Which direction does it face? I would think east?

I was able to get out to refill the Boss tube feeder late this afternoon, rain and all. I filled that tube at about 2:00 on Friday afternoon and it was empty at noon today. That lasted about 17 hours of daylight? So, all feeders were filled at the same time on Friday afternoon, the thistle/finch mix is still just about full while the safflower is only down by 1/3. Boss wins by a mile. I have also tossed great amounts onto both the deck and the patio. The birds will be just fine.

sooey

Original Author
    15 years ago

Sooey: the bay is on the east side of the house. It's calmed down now, with the wind shifting to the west. This means the feeders on the west side of the house will get blasted tonight and tomorrow. NW and W winds are the normal winter pattern here - a main reason why I have so many big ornamental grasses near the feeders, to block the winds.

I top off or refill the tube and hopper feeders every day in the winter, in late afternoon so there will be plenty of food early in the morning. I always throw seed on the ground and when it's really windy I'll throw some under the osmanthus or wherever it's somewhat sheltered. I just added another thistleseed sock on the hummingbirds' hook - I figure they won't mind, since they're far away where it's warm.

Can you swap some of your tube feeders so the BOSS feeder is easier to get at? Of course, if you don't mind the enormous cost, the sunflower seeds without shells will last much longer.

Tomorrow is my first count day of the week, so it'll be interesting to see how many birds are around.

Claire

Original Author
    15 years ago

Forgot to mention - yesterday a Carolina Wren appeared at one of the suet feeders. I don't see them very often, but I think they lurk around near the suet, but prefer to be hidden. I'll probably put another suet feeder out soon (the third) on the rose arch.

Don't you kind of want to pat that belly?

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

Hi Claire,

I love, love, love the Carolina Wren. Such a strong voice for such a little bird. Always happy, flitting about with that cute little high tail. Very sweet.

Not many birds around today. Tomorrow is a count day for me. I'll be a little busy but I hope I can fit in at least a 1/2 hour of watching. The weather has cleared but the temps are still cold. Same for tomorrow. I would love to see a Carolina Wren. I often see them about but so far, not on a count day.

Enjoy, All.

sooey

Original Author
    15 years ago

Really cold today, and the birds were hanging around the heated birdbath. A large flock of European Starlings swirled around and a few landed in the birdbath - you can almost feel the joy in having warm feet.

Later in the day I saw more starlings landing and I grabbed the camera and started shooting.

It wasn't until I downloaded the shots that I realized that a Red-bellied Woodpecker was in with the starlings. The group looks very tense, as if they don't really like each other.

The starlings kept coming, and after the count got up to about 8 of them, the Red-belly left.

Relaxing, the starlings started to party.

and party.....

I'm having trouble keeping water in the heated birdbath - someone keeps splashing it out.

Claire

• sooey
    15 years ago

Hi claire,

I'll bet you are out there twice a day filling that birdbath. After looking at those shots I feel like I need a towel.

Cold here also but lots of birds around. I thought today was a count day for me but I was in error...rats. Now I think I should wait until Friday & Saturday. I don't like count days when I can not give it at least an hour of consentrated watching. Sometimes my *other* life gets in the way...

Enjoy the birds, everyone

sooey

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    15 years ago

Hi Claire and Sooey, I have so much enjoyed this thread. Claire your pictures are so great please keep them coming!

This thread has prompted me fill the suet feeders as well as the BOSS feeder. Unfortunately, I leave pretty early and get home when it's late and dark, so I can only see the birds enjoy themselves on the weekends. I did notice that not moments after the suet was out, the hairy, downy and red-bellied woodpeckers were showing up. How do they know? Now the usual suspects are back too. Juncos, nuthatches, goldfinches, chickadees, titmouses etc. They all seem to be very happy to have some food during this snowy, cold spell.

I am still waiting for my most favorite bird to stop by, the cedar waxwing. Claire, the picture you posted of them and the bluebirds is just outstanding.
    It took me by surprise to see your heated birdbath on the ground...with NO snow! Up in NH I have about 18" on the ground, or maybe more.

Thanks for getting me back into feeding the birds!!

Original Author
    15 years ago

thyme2dig: That outstanding photo of the Cedar Waxwings and Bluebirds was taken by terrene, not me.

The woodpeckers here seem to hang around in the nearby woods, working on tree trunks or whatever, and watching for food to appear. When I walk out to refill feeders I'll hear them (and a lot of other birds) spreading the word around. You may think you're alone outside, but there are a lot of eyes on you.

Less than a half mile inland from here there is a normal amount of snow - the warm winds off the bay kept the amounts down, and the rain took away the rest.

I saw my first Purple Finch yesterday. Up to now I've only had House Finches and Goldfinches. I kept thinking I might have Purple Finches, but PFW kept looking at the photos and saying no. They finally accepted this one.

I've been expecting a flock of Cedar Waxwings to show up and deplete my winterberry of fruit, but the robins are getting really serious now, and soon there won't be much left.

Claire

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    15 years ago

terrene, sorry for the mixup on the photo credit! that photo is just beautiful!

• lschibley
    15 years ago

Tis the season for Christmas Bird Counts. I'm sorry I didn't post this sooner. The Plymouth count is the 30th, and I forget that lots of counts are earlier. If you want to see if there is a count in your area take a look at the link. If there is a count, it should give the contact info.

Claire, your house is actually in the Plymouth CBC circle. I'm sure the compiler would love to include your wren and woodpeckers! If you would like to add your birds to the count, let me know or you can contact the compiler (Trevor) directly at tlloyd-evans@manomet.org

Good birding.

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Find a CBC circle near you

• sooey
    15 years ago

Oh My Goodness, Claire! What a beautiful Purple Finch. Wonderful to look at. I'll bet you were excited with such a find! A nice Holiday Gift for you!

I just topped of all the feeders and the suet is fresh. The birds are havig a very Merry Christmas in Brewster. I hope all of you are having wonderful days, also.

sooey
    Ho, ho, ho!

• diggingthedirt
    15 years ago

I'm enjoying all these photos, thanks for posting them. No feeders here this year, and I sure do miss the birds.

Hope everyone is having a great Christmas. I got lots of nice gardening toys this year, and not all from myself, either.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Lisa: I'll contact Trevor directly and see what they need/want.

Sooey/DTD: The robins here started Christmas feasting early, on Tuesday. At one point there were 15 robins at one time on the winterberry. The teams were working diligently, in shifts.

Not much left now, I'll post a photo of the thinned out winterberry in a day or two.

Merry Christmas to the robins! and to Gardenwebbers too!

Claire

• terrene
    15 years ago

Hi birders, checking in although nothing too exciting to report here. I'm doing my PFW every week, on a Sun-Mon schedule. This past weekend the birds were sparse. I hardly saw a bird in the yard or feeders for about 2 days during the snow that didn't really stop for about 3 days. Usually they are busy on the feeders during inclement weather, but for some reason they were nowhere to be seen.

I do see the Bluebirds frequently, there are more hanging around this winter than the previous 2 years. I wonder if my suet log has influenced their decision not to migrate? If so, lots of pressure on me to keep the home-made suet stocked, wouldn't want those beauties to starve!

Claire, that's great you had a male Purple Finch, I see the females from time to time, but the males seem very skittish. They will rarely come to the feeders although I have seen them lurking in the bushes while the female(s) eat.

Thyme2dig, no problem about the photo, that day the Waxwings showed up with the Bluebirds was truly a stroke of luck that 1) I was around 2) I looked out the window and 3) the weather/sunlight/etc. was just about perfect for taking pictures! The Waxwings probably followed the Bluebirds there, because they eat from similar food sources in the winter. For sure, they are 2 of the most beautiful North American birds, together in the same spot 6 feet outside my window! :)

Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi terrene - do you have House Finches as well as Purple Finches? That's been my problem, telling them apart. Even these are apparently not quite typical according to PFW.

The snow's completely gone now and it's warmer, and the birds don't seem to be as stressed. The winterberry is almost completely de-fruited. I dug out a photo from December 2 for the before example.

And on December 26, after the robins:

Burp.

Well, I do have the red lights on the wisteria to look at, and grasses, and birds and squirrels. The day after the storm I had thirteen (13) squirrels feeding in my yard.

Claire

• terrene
    15 years ago

Claire, I get lots of House Finches and few Purple Finches. After a little practice, they're easier to tell apart, because the female PFs are a little larger, have a more prominent beak, and light eyebrows. The males have much more red coloring than male HFs.

Apparently the PF used to be a common feeder bird. One theory is that the House Finches have out-competed them in this region.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    15 years ago

Terrene, I keep going back to that pic of the waxwings. They are just the most beautiful bird. I am hoping someday they will visit my yard. I have a question about your suet log. I was reading the post on the wildlife forum where you described it, and it looked like you posted some pictures. However, I can't seem to get to the pictures. This may sound like a silly question, but is that the suet log in the picture of the bluebirds and waxwings? You had said in the other forum that you had it mounted on a post. Thanks for any info. And if it is not in that picture, would you mind posting one?

Claire, I am definitely planting winterberry this coming year. I have always wanted them, but somehow never found the spot. You're great pictures throughout this season remind me that it is a MUST in the garden.