Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Considering to volunteer at a local historic home

Richard Dollard
13 years ago

I live right around the corner form the David Humphreys House in Ansonia and drive by the place just about every day. Over the spring, summer, and fall I noticed the front garden was in disarray so I emailed the historical society and asked them if they needed help and they finally emailed me back and said yes. I am asking you all is there anything I should know ahead of time. This probably won't be happening until the spring but I like to think ahead.

Here is a link that might be useful: Derby Historical Society

Comments (16)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Ooh Richie, how fun! Do they keep the garden historically accurate? Don't know if there is anything you should know ahead of time, but it's funny you post this because I've thought of volunteering there myself, when I drive by. Never followed up. Maybe I'll stop by if I see you out in front!

:)
    Dee

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

HI Dee,
    The interim director told me in the email the plants in the front beds are native to the period. They really need some color though! I'm sure they know what they want planted but it would be fun to do some investigating. Ok, so here we go, do any of you out there in gardenland know of perennial flowers that were used in gardens in the colonial era of CT or New England in general?

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    13 years ago

If the idea is to be remotely historically accurate, the plantings aren't necessarily going to conform to modern design sensibilities. If you are thinking of volunteering to 'fix' things so they 'look pretty', then you are just going to cause problems.

I'd go into a lot more detail, but I can't type right now because of a hurt finger. Maybe next week.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, for one thing all I saw were a lot of weeds, even I go just to weed and clean it up that would be fine. But to have a bit of knowledge ahead of time wouldn't hurt. I'm not looking to cause problems!

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    13 years ago

Remember that many modern weeds = colonial herbs.

Contemporary things may begin and end with Monticello.

Many supposedly 'Colonial' things are really early 20th century colonial revival.

Ask what they recommend as reference/guides. They may have letters and diaries or other private sources.

• corunum z6 CT
    13 years ago

Hi Ritchie - Most historical societies become almost hysterically happy to have volunteers to do anything - especially, the back-breaking maintenance chores. Hats off to you! Below is a link from Arnold Arboretum that lists plants in use before 1700. Lots of familiar flowers listed here. To get a feel for 'colonial' design and displays, try the library for books on Colonial Williamsburg gardens, or zip through Google images for the same - it'll give you an idea and I doubt the zone difference will matter much. If this all comes to pass and you are the lucky guy to do the gardens, my guess is that the budget will determine how much of what is going in. You're surrounded by folks who'll help you get info -including the historical society - the CT Botanical Society - UCONN agricultural extension sites - Yale University Press has the book "Flowers and Herbs of Early America" by Lawrence D. Griffith (You can look at it here (http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/book.asp?isbn=9780300145366) and the library may have a copy - and you may even know a librarian...uh-huh. There is a lot available - think early American flower gardens - Google away and Good Luck! Should be a fun learning experience.

Kindly,
    Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: COLONIAL GARDEN PLANTS-Arnold Arboretum- Harvard

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jane, That's a lot of good information! I really appreciate your help. Richie

• mayalena
    13 years ago

I wonder if the Stawberry Banke historic gardens could be a useful resource?
    Or the Mission House in Stockbridge?
    http://www.thetrustees.org/places-to-visit/berkshires/mission-house.html
    You are great to be volunteering!
    Mayalena

Here is a link that might be useful: SG gardens

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Richie, I've been thinking about this for a few days and when I came back here I was glad to see so much info. You know, it has been some time since I drove by, but I don't recall there being much of a real "garden" to begin with, is there? Gee, if you were up to it, they may give you free reign to research and design almost from scratch! How fun!

Are there any gardens around back? I know there isn't much property, but I am ashamed to admit that despite my love of history and old architecture, I've never visited this house, so I don't know what's around back. I've really got to put this on my to-do list this summer!

:)
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: David Humphreys House

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dee, I believe you arew right, all I can see are a few plants along the front of the house, barely any plants. I don't thinhk there is anything in the back yard.

• ginny12
    13 years ago

This is a vast topic of great interest. Much has been written in the last 120 years, most of it inaccurate. But in recent years the field of landscape history has grown in quantum leaps.

Unfortunately, much more is known about the gardens of the wealthy than about those--if any--of the middle class or working class. Those were the gardens that tended to be recorded by travellers and diarists. And of course there were regional differences due to climate.

There are many difficulties, common names being just one. Another is that the public likes colorful flower displays and colonial gardens did not feature much of that.

Colonial Williamsburg has done a great deal of research into colonial gardens and a good look at their website is worthwhile. Strawbery Banke also tries to be accurate, altho on a much smaller scale.

This topic is too big to say much here but my suggestion would be to do some reading in current and scholarly, accurate sources. And decide if you just want to make this house look more attractive, accuracy be d*mned.

• Started_with_bean
    13 years ago

At the Mass Horticultural Society at Elm Bank, they've got a cool herb teaching garden and it's got a Colonial area within that has some native plantings. Here's the links for the garden itself and the NE Unit of the Herb Society of America's colonial plant list. Maybe you can start from there:

http://www.neuhsa.org/GardenGuide__5.07.2009.pdf

http://www.neuhsa.org/ColonialPlantlist.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: NEUHSA Colonial Plant list

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

There's a period herb garden at the Buckman Tavern in Lexington. It is not very decorative, meaning it's a herb garden that you might expect in back of a tavern, not a parterre.
    There might be a period garden at another historical house as well. If you are interested I'll drive by and get the address.

I think it is great you are volunteering. You'll learn the who has the say in the organization. After you've put i couple months of hard labor, your opinion will be valued. Staff, paid and unpaid: everyone pays their dues!

I hope it is a wonderful experience.
    idabean

• bebebzzz
    13 years ago

Hi Richie,
    I know a bit about period gardens in New England, and even have a fantastic book about creating them: The New Traditional Garden by Michael Weishan - highly recommend it. In a nutshell, gardens from that time were more functional than aesthetic and a typical front garden contained mostly herbs and vegetables - plants that served a purpose. Could share more if you're interested...
    Bebe

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No foundation plantings I am assuming then?

• ginny12
    13 years ago

In every historic era, there were varying garden styles, depending on the economic level of the owners and other factors such as the garden interest of the owners. That was true in the colonial period, the Victorian era, and today.

A farmhouse would likely have had a very utilitarian garden plot but there were spectacular high-style gardens throughout the 13 colonies among the well-to-do. You do have to do some research to find the accurate scholarly books and articles about what you are looking for.

And please forgive me for noting that Michael Weishan wrote a nice book but not something intended to be strictly accurate for a historic home, if that is the desired goal.