Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My jade plant is blooming!

Posted by lovesummer 5/6 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 31, 09 at 20:39

I've been in this house for 31 years, and have had jade plants the entire time. We don't have windowsills and the house has fairly deep roof overhangs, so it doesn't get as much sun as I might wish for houseplants. The jade plants tend to get leggy and they've never bloomed....until now. I moved one from a southwesterly corner window to a southeasterly window a couple of weeks ago to make room for the Christmas tree, and it's blooming! What a nice gift from Mother Nature.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My jade plant is blooming!

I'm impressed! I collect quite a few succulents and have seen most of them bloom but not Jade plants. While I've had great success growing and cloning Jades from cuttings, I've never gotten one to bloom. You are to be congratulated.

o

When I was a child (MANY YEARS AGO!) my grandma had one in her sunroom. She had it for years, and it was maybe 2 feet tall and 1 feet wide. It got a lot of sun and finally bloomed. She was quite amazed. Years later when I was in the Navy I was sent to San Diego. I had never been out of New England before and had a layover at the LAX airport so I went outside to see this "other world". Imagine seeing people in shorts in January! Palm trees and bird of paradise in bloom. And there was a maintenance crew trimming hedges of - you guessed it! - Jade plants. They were at least 8-10 feet high. And they were in bloom. There were "trimmings" larger than my grandma's plant had ever been. And here they were being tossed into trash bags! What a difference climate makes!

o

I know this is an old thread, but I just discovered my jade plant is blooming. I've had it for 4.5 years. I live in California, the plant is in the shade all the time and is now about 1.5 ft tall. To say the least, i was surprised it is blooming. I water it about once a week in the summer and pretty much don't do anything with it the rest of the year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here