Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

12/22: Amazing Mahoney's Deal on Xmas Cactus , and Post Xmas Sale

arbo_retum
14 years ago

I have never seen such a deal before; yesterday at Winchester Mahoney's I got HUMONGOUS xmas cactus(10" diameter pots) for $13 each!!!and they are covered w/ flowers. They also have lots of different patterned pointsettias (2 of their "2 for $10" pots visually look to equal one of their $26 pots, so your $10 is well spent.)

In addition (and no, I do not have stock in Mahoney's), their 12/26-12/31 Winchester sale can be a source of some amazing buys.(50% off their xmas stuff but 33-75% off most all their other stuff!!!!!!) can't tell you what they'll have this yr., but I can tell you that i'll be there 12/26.

their other stores' sale is shorter- check the link included below.

best,

mindy

Here is a link that might be useful: mahoney's post xmas sale site

Comments (44)

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wowee gee wiz. it's very unusual for me to attend a sale where things ring up even lower than you thought they would! today, almost evthng we bought was marked down 75% off the LOWEST price on an item!!(some of the '50% off' signs turn out to be wrong, so you are v. pleasantly surprised at the register! Hundreds of large glazed pots(some v. unusual coral tinged coppery ones and teal colored and other green shades etc etc, were one of the best buys of the day. Imagine when an original tag of $130 has been discounted before to $80; so this now turns into $20. WOW!! ( the cobalt blue or oxblood red ones were 33% off.)

And NOW is the time to get that large black iron arbor or arbor w/ gate or arbor w/ cushioned bench; I saw some as low as $175 !!plus chairs and benches. In addition to thousands of autumn and xmas swags, foliage, berries, vines etc etc, there are the practical things: mosquito dunks, outdoor extension cords, 4-line water distributor,gloves, felcos,potting soil, and bulbs!! for those of you wanting to pot up and overwinter bulbs outside in your new glazed pots(who me??!!) a wonderful assortment of narcissus and tulips awaits you; all are now $1.75 instead of $7 for 8 bulbs.)

Even the amaryllis are now $10 for some two-stemmed more unusual varieties and $7 for 10" pots of cyclamen.

YAY!
    best,
    Mindy

• cloud_9
    14 years ago

Ahh, Mindy you are killing me here! When is Mahoney's going to open a branch in my neck of the woods?! Congrats on the bargains. $130->$20 is pretty amazing.

: D

• zahzeen
    14 years ago

Mindy, Mindy, Mindy - I was resisting the Mahoney's sale (I'm on their email list) until I saw your posts. It's all your fault! Honestly, I only spent $39.00 well spent dollars. I got a piece of statuary that was $55 for $6.25, wood window boxes originally $50 something for $6.25 each, a couple of pots (one was only $3.25 originally $30.00) and I hope you're sitting down, Crocs for $1.88 yes, $1.88 (not $18.88). They were $34.95 marked down to $7.50 and then 75% off - I bought 2 black and 2 navy (2 for me and 2 for a friend - forget Ocean State Job Lot!). I had two problems with the sale - first the beautiful pots that you described marked down to eventually, $20.00 were too big for me to move in and out for the seasons - I resisted but it was very difficult. Second, they kept putting out more merchandise at 75% off! At one point it was the guy with the blue stickers and me. I think some things were still there because the stickers weren't on yet and a couple of times when I asked, he put the blue stickers on for me so I wouldn't have any questions at the cash register. Thank you for mentioning the sale - I tried to stay away, but thanks to your post, I'm glad I didn't!

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

zz, i'm so psyched you had some good luck. we went back today and got some more outdoor electrical green cords(helpful for all our fountains and waterfalls),potting soil and bulbs (can you imagine- 20cents each for really good varieties, and they still have thousands there.) BTW (in case you do go back!) the blue dot price is already figured into the barcode sticker on the items.Also got a roll of bamboo fencing, ph kits,and a large $130 glazed pot for $19!!! And yes, i too got those $1.88 crocs!!! but all i saw today were light blue and hot pink(no way)- in front of the 75% off blue dot glazed pots. nvy blue and black-where were they?

gee deb, can't you just pile those boys into the car and take a (LOOOONG) day trip?!!

Hope some more of you will treat yourselves to some well-deserved useful utility items and decorative delights.

best,
    Mindy

• zahzeen
    14 years ago

Hi Mindy,

Unfortunately, I may be going back today. There were still some good looking hellebores for $10.00 but I put back the one in my cart since the cashier didn't give me the extra 33% off - I showed them! A different cashier in the Christmas section told me while I was in that area that it should have been discounted. Now I have to go back and get one. I think I just got a bah humbug cashier. She was giving me 50% off blue dot items (the bar code price) until I told her that someone in the pot section told me the blue dots were 75% off the LOWEST marked price. She was trying to explain to me at 50% off I was still getting 75% off the original price. Imagine, she was going to charge me $3.75 for the $34.95 Crocs - such nerve! Glad I spoke up. I may have gotten the last black and navy crocs. I think you were in the same place as I was (near the blue dot large pots sort of set by themselves) and there were a lot of blue and pink crocs left. But yesterday, they kept putting out more stuff so maybe they'll put out more colors today. Did someone stop you when you were pushing your large pot near the Christmas section and ask you if you could keep that outside during the winter? If so, that was me. If that wasn't you, do the big pots have to be glazed inside to be able to leave out all winter - would you do that? I would really like to get one or two but realistically, couldn't move them twice a year. There were a ton of non Christmas decorations marked down 75% off that I'll be looking at today. I was late getting to see OhSillyMe in Wakefield (she got two of the crocs) and couldn't stay as long as I wanted. It was her son who at two was calling me "Zahzeen" since he couldn't pronounce "Marlene". I ended up spending a bit of time talking to Jim, the manager of the Brighton store about the hellebores and wood planters. I may have to get a couple more of those if there are still any left - Jim thought they were a steal. Thanks again for the post (I think!). Don't you just love a bargain.....oops, wrong store.

• cloud_9
    14 years ago

Mindy - I would be so tempted without the boys. I have done that (3 hours each way) trip in one day to go to the Boston Flower Show. I have to do 6 hours (if I am lucky) tomorrow with the family to go down to MD for New Year's Eve which is my Dad's birthday. Happy New Year!

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

zz, now you have me completely confused- did you go/are you returning to the Brighton or the Winchester Mahoney's?
    Good thing you were on your toes w/ those prices(but what a drag; i don't understand; I thought they'd left nothing up to human error, but that it was all figured out in the barcodes)......

mindy

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

zz,warren leach explained how to tell which glazed ones could be left out, but i don't remember the info.... I believe that these cannot be left out, but you could certainly ask THEM at Mah.; they do often know those things. Maybe if you elevated them off the ground and covered the opening so no moisture could get in, and wrapped them or set them in shredded leaves- maybe they'd be o.k. Let me know what Mah. says. We planted all the 20 cent bulbs today, in various experiments. My Love says that the time has come for him to inform me that I am now officially certifiable. (MAN, that was a mean windy cold today.)

best,
    mindy

• zahzeen
    14 years ago

Hi Mindy,

I was at the Mahoney's in Winchester yesterday and again today. I met Jim, the manager of the Brighton store, while he was visiting the Winchester store yesterday. I did find out why they keep putting more things out. Their stores in Wayland, Concord and Osterville just closed for the winter and they are moving the stuff from those stores to Winchester. They were putting out more large pots while I was there and were selling them almost as quickly. The only adult Crocs left (Children's sizes had a lot left in a variety of colors) were the hot pink. I asked about keeping the big pots out all winter and received two negative replies. The closest "yes" came from another person who is going to try to glaze the inside herself and leave it out. With the crazy prices, it might be worth a try (but not for me). I resisted again - but came close to buying one of the big pots they were just putting out.

There were some new things besides the big pots from yesterday that I picked up (large glass vase from $24.98 to $3.00; pretty tee shirts from $18.98 to $1.25; a nice medium size pot for $3.75; shells from $8.98 to $1.00). I also got some bulbs at 75% off and got bonsai soil, charcoal and some plant food at 33% off. After Winchester, I went to Brighton (it's on the way home if I go the back roads instead of 128). Jim remembered me from yesterday and their blue dot items were 90% off but not a lot to chose from. I did pick up two plant put-er-oners (I don't know what they are called). They are natural wood, shellacked - looking almost like petrified wood - that are low with wheels. I needed them to use with a couple of large pots I have so that I can move the pots around. They were $49.98 so I paid $5.00.

If I lived where you are, I'd be back there again tomorrow to see what else they were still unpacking - hmmm, I'm only 12 miles away going the back way so maybe I'll stop by again Thursday!

BTW - how will you be planting your bulbs? In the next couple of days I'm going to plant them in plastic pots in the garage and then put them outside. The guy (don't know his name) at Mahoney's thought this might work. They need the 6 to 10 weeks cold weather but the ground is too hard to plant directly. You probably have some good ideas and if I can implement them, I'll pick up some more bulbs on Thursday - OH NO - did I just commit to going back a third time!

Thanks again,
    ZZ (aka Zahzeen-Marlene)

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found out today at the Winch Mahoney's that the sale will continue "until they sell everything".

zz, thanks so very much for telling me about the new stock coming in from the other Mah. stores. I went today and got a 3rd load(new stock from concord/wayland stores), and never would have done that if you hadn't told me.More urns and some really lifelike looking silk flowers(I use them to supplement a little color in my arrangements[ esp. in the fall] that i do for my local library and unitarian church) and a 4'H round 3 tiered cast iron cocoa fiber lined plant stand for $12. whooee!! Oh, maybe best of all, after reading a brilliant GWer's idea to use fake ivy to hide cinder blocks under glazed pots, I got a box full of convincingly real-looking plastic nandina bunches, and some ivy, to weave into a hardware cloth strip that covers an ugly support for one of our big urns.I am really psyched about this because I hate having to look at that ugly support until the thick folliage around it grows tall enough to hide it.

I also saw alot of good wind chimes, (woodstock etc.), gloves,felcos, fountains, fountain pumps etc etc.......

best,
    mindy

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

Mindy, I'm surprised I didn't run into you last night. I was there until they turned out the lights. Got 2 $100 dollar cast iron urns for $25 each. One was in the blue dot 75% lot, the other wasn't but the nice man marked it down for me. A bunch of curly willow bundles half off for outdoor texture now; and I convinced the saleswoman to give me a stump of wood, real, rotting, with lichen that was I'm sure going to be thrown into the landfill. It will hold up awhile as a roost for the ancient single owl andiron end that my daughter dug up 15 years ago in our yard. A large hunk of bark fell off, and I thought maybe I should glue this back on, followed shortly by "are you crazy?"

After the gent loaded my car, I ran back in to look at what I missed, promising the cashier I wouldn't buy anything so she could close out. In return for my consideration she whispered "its better to wait, tomorrow things will be 75% off"

This is fun. Thanks Mindy!

• zahzeen
    14 years ago

WHAT'S GOING TO BE 75% OFF TOMORROW???? The Christmas things that are 50% off now??? You guys are killing me! I went in for the fourth time today (I went the back way which is "on my way" to Wakefield - my flimsy rationalization). I picked up a few things that were put out in the last couple of days from the other stores (heavy silver pail that was $19.98 - who would ever pay that! - that was marked down to $5.00 and then viola 75% off and it was $1.25; bonsai planters that ended up being $3.00 and $1.50; a half or maybe quarter whiskey barrel that was $24.98 for $6.25 - not the greatest bargain; a microgreens propagator that was $14.98 for $1.88 and a couple of other things). I'm debating about trellises that were in the back by the window - mixed blue dot and non blue dot - but there were some nice wooden trellises. They put a lot of stuff (mostly pots and statuary) in the area between the hard goods and nursery that I think should have blue dots on them because I bought a piece of statuary that was blue dot a few days ago and they had the same one in that in between area without a blue dot. Mindy - some of the stuff without the blue dot was ringing up via the bar code at 75% off like you mentioned a few posts ago, but not all items (even if they had the blue dots on them) were ringing up that way so I'm still asking. Also, the other day, I did get a Christmas cactus - the last one hanging up but they had others on the table.

If anyone is going back, check out the Kelly Gardens tee shirts (originally $18.98 now $1.25) - they are in a box in the blue dot corner. They don't look like much in the package - just a small flower, herb or vegetable on the front. You can't see the back of the shirt while it's in the package but the back of the shirt has a larger, different version of the same flower, herb or vegetable (as depictated on the back on the package). I got several for myself and gifts. They really are much nicer out of the package.

Thanks for the update. I'll try to take a cue from Dorothy and click my heals three times while improvising her line "I can't go back, I can't go back". But I probably will if other stuff like the hellebores or Christmas stuff is going down to 75% off!

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

I went at 5 tonight, but they closed at 4. I had my eye on those trellises. I'm getting there at 9 am Sat.
    thanks for heads up on tshirts. Time to dump my 15 year old lands end.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lawdy lawdy lawdy, we are some lucky gahdenahs.Now, zz, aside from your hysterical Dorothy reference, I am thinking about buying a bunch of those tee shirts and the kids crocs for an orphanage school that some friends started in south america.......hmmmmmmm, some thinking to do. zz, when i was there yestday aftnoon, bernie, the nice worker there,was told that all those things in the in-between room- were only 33% off unless they had a blue dot, but i too saw repeats of things that were in the blue dot area. But IF tomorrow (and then on, I would guess?)EVERYTHIG is 75% off, well then it won't matter what he was told yesterday. As I am a v. LATE riser, I will find out after you do i guess. Maybe you should call them before you drive over.

I do think that if anyone has space to store future gifts or donations, this is certainly a great sale to raid. Also zz, did you see the dark green plastic fake wood planter boxes(off close to the left wall near the copper colored glazed pots.) Good large size-maybe 1.5-2'H x 2.5'W. Those might be excellent in your driveway or patio etc. For some things that are not heavy, like these, it's worth it to take it up to the register and have them scan it and see what the scan says. It could be 75% off but no one realized it there( like the 2 amaryllis i got that had a sign saying 'priced as marked' ($15) but rang up at $10. I CAN say for sure that of the 3 times that i have gone back,every time I have seen and bought new stuff that either wasn't there before or that I missed before because there is just so much to take in. Best continued luck,
    mindy

• zahzeen
    14 years ago

Idabean - race you to the trellises! Only kidding, the real reason I haven't purchased one yet is that I really don't need it and have been trying to figure out where to put one! Maybe I'll get one (some were only $24.98 so they'd be $6.25). I liked the ones that were $59.98 that would be $15.00. Mindy, I think I did see the boxes you were referring to. I tried to pull them apart but was having a hard time and there was no one in sight to help out. Moving on to other things, I think I just forgot about them. IF (Ha!) I go back I'll try, try, again. Thanks.

The box with the tee shirts was sitting on the floor so I don't think they were noticed. I bought 7 which came to a total of $8.75 - slightly less than half the price of one! Mindy, that is a great idea about getting them for the less fortunate. I've already given away four to family and a friend (my Wakefield excuse). I kept a green one with lettuce as an a double entendre - my profession (accounting = money = lettuce) and gardening. No one but myself will get the lame joke.

I'm wondering if the new 75% off starts today or tommorrow since the official after Christmas sale ends today (January 2nd). I honestly think they are starting to laugh at me at Mahoney's but I guess - so what! Nice day for a ride?

• zahzeen
    14 years ago

Sorry "official" sale ended 12/31/09 so what cashier told Idabean makes sense.

• zahzeen
    14 years ago

I'm Done, Done, Done - I swear this time. Not a completely frivolous trip - I stopped at Roche Brothers and bought bananas and eggs. What did Jeff Goldblum say in The Big Chill - "No one goes through a whole day without one juicy rationalization"?

If anyone does go back, at 9:30 they put out a bunch of stand up planters - iron base, wicker top with that hay like stuff (can't think of the right term). Were $99.98 marked down to $50.00 so they are $12.50. They had brown, green and white when I left (I was the only customer in the store).

For the scavangers among us, check out the display containers. I took a bunch of mole traps out of a great big oblong metal container that was $199.98 - got it for $25.00. Also finally got my big, huge planter (also a display item). Blue, made of some kind of very duty plastic (but doesn't look like plastic) that was originally $149.98 marked down to $15.00 (it did have some minor wear) and then at check out I paid $3.75 (97.5% off) - that beats out the crocs that were ONLY 95% off.

You guys were right about everything now being 75% off. A lot of stuff doesn't have the blue dots on them so I think mere mortal shoppers don't realize they are part of the sale and pass them by.

Have fun if you do go - you won't see me there - REALLY!

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah, the saga.We went today for the fourth time. When I inquired, i was firmly told by the 2 cashiers in the xmas shop part- that the only things that were 75% off were the blue dot area things, selling at 75% off the lowest marked (often pink tagged)price.

So, i got 2 ginormous salmon glazed pots (holding display branches etc)for $12.50@. And then, for the orphanage or other kids,we got 30 pairs(all the remaining) of kids' crocs for $1.50 pr. and 10 white and yellow flower- decorated t shirts at $1.50@) for various charities.(There are still a few tshirts there- in a floor peach basket in the rear left corner of the shop.) So zz, thanks to you for enabling that to happen(through your repeated mention of those items!) Personally, I think the remaining best deals are for the (still more) glazed and other pots and for two (heavy-as-hell) cement fountains, one topped w/ doves around the water nozzle and the other painted a handsome moss green, w/ frogs around the water nozzle. They were 2 tiered but not dramatic/ splashy.One fountain was round and one square, about 20-24" H. With the 75% off, i think they ended up at $60@, and they are in that transition room between the blue dot area and the main greenhouse, w/ all the statuary and pots brought from other mahoney's.

Congratulations everyone! IF and WHEN the xmas stuff goes from 50% to 75% off, plse let us all know!
    best,
    mindy

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

Mindy,
    But I didn't see any blue dots on fountains, pots etc in the "transition room" I eyed a bunch of stuff, but floor help man said it was the "usual" 33.3 off. what I really wanted were the cedar dispay units on the right in that room. They weren't for sale, but wouldna made great potting tables.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

as i have mentioned before, MANY 75% off items do not have their blue dots, but they DO ring up 75% off. Maybe the staff (or customers)add blue dots for certain things in that transition room, because i saw a number of blue dots there yesterday.
    mindy

• zahzeen
    14 years ago

Hi Idabean,

Mindy is right. The whole thing is very confusing especially because of moving items from the other stores and the different ways the bar codes are being read. I bought something that was $60.00 that was marked down 75% off so it was marked $15.00 and NO blue dot. When I got the register, when the cashier read the bar code it came up 75% off so I paid $3.75. Other times the bar code, even WITH the blue dots, reads a price and then the cashier manually enters the 75% off when she sees the blue dot. I'm a bit of a nudge and if I don't like the answer from the guys of the floor would bring it to the cashier. I got the big display antique iron pot by doing that. It was $200, marked down to $100, no blue dot but the cashier gave me 75% off anyway so I paid $25. That's why I paid so quickly yesterday (before someone decided to change it from 75% off to 33% off) and put it in my car. I also had the big blue pot at that point so figured I should count my blessings (or good luck) and left. I'm not sure even the staff knows what merchandise is what at this point. If it doesn't have a blue dot, ask to see if you can get a blue dot from one of the guys on the floor (this has worked for you, me and I think Mindy) and if not, bring it to the cashier to see what the bar code reads (or the cashier may decide to give you 75% off). Again, it's confusing, but for the quality of merchandise and the potential price - it's worth it. Good luck!

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

Yep, I've been doing that. But the guy on the floor was clear that those nice goods on the left were not 75percent off. I might try againI. You know what I really want? That Vietnamese pot for 650. I won't get it because I don't want to pay more than 100 for a pot, and I have no sheltered or indoor spot for it. I do have some limits.

my husband was thrilled with the wedge (for splitting wood) orginally for 25, now 1.50.

the guy on the sales foor said everything was in from other stores, but I saw a raft of boxes yet to be unpacked. And although he said at 4 everything was blue dotted that could be, at 5:30 I heard his dotter going....blue again.

The iron pots with curley willow look great flanking the front door.

Marie

• zahzeen
    14 years ago

Hi Marie,

It's the nudge again. When I bought my house, I wanted a few things the owners had that weren't included with the house. I had a lawyer for the real estate transaction whose advice was "You don't ask, you don't get". Sure enough they didn't want to move the stuff - turned out back to Japan! - and gave (yes, just gave) me the things I asked for which included a microwave, TV and VCR. Since then, I have never been shy about asking or making an offer. I won't go into another long story, but based on personal experience, Mahoney's will negotiate. I was encouraged by one of the sales people to ask Paul, the manager and sure enough again, he came down on the already discounted price. Mindy may have a better contact point at Mahoney's since she lives closer that I but Paul is the manager in Winchester. I believe but not sure he is a Mahoney - one of the sons who used to throw potatoes at customers when he was a kid.

You might want to try to offer them $100 for the pot you really want (it's not THAT far off from 75% off which at $650 would be $162.50 - instead of 75% off you're asking for 85% off - not unreasonable). They may want to get rid of it for more/new inventory or a variety of other reasons and would welcome an offer.
    My unsolicited two cents but "You don't ask, you don't get".

Now, THANKS ALOT!!!!! I'm going to HAVE to go back next week if they were still putting things out. I was originally blaming Mindy, now I can blame you! Only kidding. Thanks for letting us know, I may pick up on Mindy's idea and try to pick up somethings for charity.

Best of luck,
    Marlene

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i was hoping that was where you were going to put them. how perfect for the front door. and the yellow curly willow too against the black, and house green.

What would look great mixed in w/ those yellow curly willows is (in the same fake xmas greens/flowers section)those very realistic looking plastic brown 'twigs'w/ red berries (and a few small apples/pomegranates which i just bent/pulled off). 50% off $4.99 @. Shorter than the willow, but you could still lay them in effectively.For outdoors, the plastic greenery items w/ red berries(or apples etc) are much better than the red paper coated styrofoam berries because the latter eventually get chipped/nicked -revealing the white underneath.

The various plastic twigs/branches of berries are really handy for wintertime vases of fresh flowers. For an attractive arrangement, all you need is a bunch of white alstromaeria ($5 at TrJ) w/ some of these berry branches mixed in, and you never notice the berries aren't real...

vietnamese pot- the cool green one w/ black 'iron' banding and frogs on top? that's blue dot, so 25% of $699 unless maybe bernie would mark it down further than $699 and then it would be 25% of that lower price. such a handsome pot.

if by 'left' you mean the area on the left wall near the red glazed pots, then yes, that area is only 33% ,from what i have seen and been told.

mindy

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

zz, great to know of paul; i don't know him, only bernie the floor guy. YOU are hysterical, by the way. It seems that we are not only ON the same bus w/ regards to asking, we DRIVE the same bus!! As Stevie Forbert says "You cannot win if you do not play."
    best,
    mindy,
    Founding Member, Enablers Unanonymous

• zahzeen
    14 years ago

Marie,

One last (even I don't believe that) word. The crocs were originally $34.98 and they sold for $1.88 - that's 95% off. If you got the same deal (95% off) for the vietnamese pot you are eyeing that would be $32.50. You're not asking for 95% off - you're asking for the middle ground between 75% and 95%, 85% off - techinically 85% off would be $97.50 - you're even offering a little more. A lot of items were marked 75% off from their original price and then with the blue dot 75% off the lowest price which made them 87.5% off the original price. Offering to take it off their hands for $100 sounds reasonable to me at least. I just hate to see you not get it if you really want it and I bet Mahoney's really wants to sell it if they've already marked it down 75% off. Now I know the one you're talking about based on Mindy's description - that is one beautiful, unique pot.

• zahzeen
    14 years ago

I reread Mindy's post and she suggested another way to go about it. Ask Bernie if he could mark it down for you to $400 (that would be marking it down 38% from the original price of $650 - and we have seen many, many mark downs from 50% to 75% off the original price so again, 38% off is reasonable). Then since it has the blue dot, you get 75% off the $400 and you are at your floor offer of $100. As long as you think and know you are being reasonable, you stand a better chance of convincing them. Told you the other post wouldn't be my last word - now I'll be quiet.

• zahzeen
    14 years ago

Marie,

Trellises at Mahoney's in Tewksbury (Main Street in Tewksbury is the same road as 129 in Reading, I believe) 90% off. Made by Maine Trellis Company by American with disabilities. I think there was only one style but came in 6' and 7' or 8' heights. I bought two 6' - were $54.99 - paid $5.50. They are in the almost empty greenhouse on your right as you walk in. A couple were on a table but behind the table were more and as were the taller trellises. All their blue dots are 90% off but not too much left. Evidently, last week was extremely busy. Watch out on the 90% off if an item had a previous markdown. Their discount of 90% off the ORIGINAL price NOT the LOWEST PRICE like Winchester. Still, I bought two wrought iron conical trellises (about 4' high) that were originally $49.98 and were marked down to $25.00. It rang up at $25.00 at the register and even with the blue dot, the cashier had to ask someone. He said to give me another 40% off but took the discount from the lowest price so they were $15.00. I had to explain that 90% off $50.00 was $5.00 and the flip to that was if they were $15.00 that meant the original price was $150.00 (which of course it wasn't). I had three of them all confused but they ended up overriding the prices and charged me the correct $5.00. They were EXTREMELY helpful. I've had my car for 11 years and never realized the back seats folded down. When the trellises didn't fit in the back, trunk or roof, the nice young man (wears a BC hat) figured out that the seat folded back after I kept insisting that they didn't! Felt like a fool but for $5 wood trellises - that's OK.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

zz, you are HYSTERICAL!!!!!
    Remember that sound you heard a few minutes ago? Well, that was ME, guffawing over here in Winchester!!
    Whoever said that one is not what one does?!!That ol' accounting stuff is in your DNA!!

well, congrats on those trellises; i'm sure you woke up THEIR math brains today!!

i told 2 of my garden design clients about the sale and they had alot of luck as well. Yay, spread the good stuff around.

personally, i WISH i had a use for one of those curved iron benches that fits around a tree; they would be so pretty in the right spot.......
    best,
    mindy
    Founder, Enablers Unanonymous

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

yeah Mindy and the echo you heard was me guffawing here in Lexington. Following algebra's word problems, percentages were my worst part in math. So I will simply take your suggestion and ask for that pot for 100 or less. I'll re read your posts.

I think it is possible a lurker might have the same idea and when I go there it will be gone. I'll be thinking about it forever as the "one that got away" Picture that pot, on itty bitty skinny legs hightailing out of Mahoneys down rt 3 to Whole Foods to fill itself up with.....what?....

The other pot I loved was one about 4 feet tall sky blue squarish. But what I really need is something clear red, pink, or true salmon, like that salmon poppy...

Mindy, I have those berries We bought them at another post Mahoney's splurge a few years ago. I was wondering were they were this season.

A confession: did ya see the Williamburg fruity christmas tree? Oh, I love Christmas fruit. And the little tree? I so want to ditch the live tree and have something small. I swore I wouldn't buy it unless it got down to 60 (from 179) but if I do the math your way I might just get there.

Thanks mindy for commenting on the arrangement. I'll try the berries. Of course the wind and snow knocked down one of the urns and the willow is buried deep. I need to get it out before we have a rain and freeZe or it will be in the permafrost till winter.

This has been the best thread in ages!! You know, we should resurrect the "dog in moose" thread from years ago. Why stop laughing now?

mt

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maybe put stones in the castiron pots to keep them steady and anchor the twigs.you hold the twigs while he fills in with the stones.
    there was a very handsome tall pot that i would call salmon w speckles(very rich color), a tall pot among the other salmon pots where the branches were- on the right where the blue dots are. This one is distinct because it has an embossed pattern on it. very handsome.would be very handsome to the left of your back door because its color would look great w/ that teal green/jade of the house.

If the plan is to put a pot in the middle of a bed,as a central focal point, make sure that the color will be either mirrored by some of the surrounding plants, or will be complemented by the surrounding plants.For example, where we have our 2 large oxblood red urns, there are no red flowers except daylilies in aug., but all the conifer colors and other flower colors- work well against the red.

ah,yes,mindy's version of color theory 101.....

• zahzeen
    14 years ago

If anyone is interested in the trellises at Mahoney's in Tewksbury, paste the link below in your browser. The style they have is "Windsor". For $5.50 you can get a 6' trellis; for $7.50 a 7'4" trellis - and as an added bonus they will demonstrate your car's amazing features never before known to you.

http://www.barharborcedar.com/MaineTrellisCo.2009-PUB.pdf

trellises are
    produced from the finest, select Northern White Cedar. This
    wood is naturally insect and rot resistant and lasts for 15-20
    years untreated.
    Northern White Cedar is excellent for outdoor and ground contact
    applications without requiring dangerous chemicals found in pressure
    treated wood.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

o.k. zz,aside from the fact that you keep starting off my day w/ delightful laughter (from me) i've figured out a use for these so now i want 2 @ 6 footers!!!! A favor-type question: are you going back and might you get me 2 ,if you might be passing through winch again sometime? if not, no worries and i will gladly go forth.they don't have them in winch, right?

best,
    mindy

• zahzeen
    14 years ago

Dear Founder, Enablers Unanonymous,

Unfortunately, I have a meeting in Boston this afternoon and another in Newton this evening so I won't be able to go to Tewksbury. Otherwise, I would have been happy to do this for you. They do have trellises in Winchester for 75% off (2 threllises at $55 = $110 so in Winchester at 75% off, they would be $27.50 versus in Tewksbury at 90% off they would be $11.00). You might want to pick them up in Winchester for the $16.50 price difference (further reduced by at least $5.00 - the cost of gasoline for the round trip). The other benefit of Winchester is last time I looked, which is a few days ago, Winchester had more than one style to chose from AND, you and your love wouldn't even have to worry about getting them in your car - lucky you are practically within walking distance. I could go up on Thursday if you'd like. I left Tewksbury around 4:00 yesterday and there were at least four or six 6' trellises left but wouldn't know what they'll sell between now and Thursday. Let me know if you'd like me to pick them up, if they're still there, on Thursday. Now that I know I can put the seats down in my car and with your enabling, it'd be no problem!

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

dear You Are Hysterical,
    we will go to both today and I'll call T to have them put aside in the chance that i like that style the best anyway.
    Thanks much! I hope you will tell me if you want we to pick up anyth for you today
    best,
    mindy

• zahzeen
    14 years ago

PS, Mindy. If you do go to Winchester, they had medium sized wire baskets with that hay like stuff in them on a shelf (actually near where the trellises are on the back wall - in the blue dot corner where the tee shirts were). They were $29.98 but some of them (not all) had $10.00 stickers and blue dots on them. There were at least ten left, some marked down, some not. I think they rang up at the register using the bar code at $2.50 but not sure. I picked up two for $2.50 each - 92% off. Will we ever be able to buy anything at full retail again (not that I usually do - my next "hunt" might be fish stores)?

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HA! good thing i called first.Tewksb. is CLOSED ON TUES.!!!
    i'll go over and check winch.
    mindy

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

m, i just saw a handsome lighter blue tall narrow glazed pot, 40"H? x 14"D?, marked down from $299 to $40, and w/ a blue dot- on the right by the salmon glazed pots w/ the branches, up against the main wooden display bench. such a deal.
    mindy

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yes i saw the willsbrg fruit table tree if it is the one in the front corner of the xmas shop? very handsome indeed, though i would replace the greenery part which wasn't very real looking.

Bec. you mentioned this item and the appeal of smaller trees,which I had been feeling as well (this is our 1st xmas w/o a real tree or my antique pine cone tree) I was able to have my eyes open to spot a 4'H hanging(flat backed) folk art wire w/ greenery tree w/highly curved branches- for hanging the fav ornaments-(it was on the right wall when entering the interim room.) V. psyched.

After a long time going through all the pots and fountains in the interim room- I do think that most of those things are blue dot. A lot of the blue dots have worn (you can see their felty circle , though sometimes no blue is showing. I got someth. like that today, and i just TOLD the greenhouse checkout girl that it was blue dot.No prob. I got the dove fountain and another mega gigantic salmon glazed pot, both of which are definitely going to forever live wherever they are put. no frequent flyer miles for those suckers.
    mindy

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

Mindy et al,
    I got that tall blue pot I had my eye on. It might have been $200 marked down to 40 marked down to TEN DOLLARS.

I also got a big metal/copper bucket marked down from at least 150 to $37.50 (I don't think she did the math right. I'll have to check in the morning. I had wanted something like a watering trough near the bees, and this might fill the bill. Or we can use it for logs.

That magnificient green pot. I met the nice guy who works the floor. I told him what I wanted to pay for it and without my knowing it he called the ?manager? anyway a woman, and she no way was she going below $160. I think the problem is there was no pink marked down price, so it was 75 % off 699. I really don't want to pay that much because I know I won't move it in freezing weather, and it may break. I'm only willing to risk 100 or less.

If anyone can talk them down to $100 or less, I'll take you to LaPatisserie for lunch or Quebrada in Arlington for a cake. Could also do Lakota for a dozen cookies.

There's a challenge for the bargainers out there! I'll pay you back in cash and could even meet you at Mahoneys to load and transport pot.

Mindy, I saw two "maroonish" pots (one upside down, the other on top) on the pallet, next to the sky blue tall. Are those the ones you are talking about? If there was a salmon pot in the "transition room" I missed it entirely.

I'm not looking at your post right this second, but I thought you said it had some branches dispayed it it. I'll look again, maybe when I check to see if the christmas tree is marked down. I wasn't too offended by the look of its branches. But then I had pots on my mind.

Marie

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

There were some pots that WWF calls "tall toms" in the transition room. I don't remember dots or prices, but they are a different shape from the round bellied ones we've been buying.

So should I fork over 160 for the Vietnamese pot?

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

zz yah,(can you figure out that anagram?)
    After My Love called and reserved them this morn, i made that tewksbury trek this aftnoon and picked up their last four 7 1/2 ' trellises (they still had 6' ones). This particular style, Windsor, which you alerted me to, is much sturdier and better built than the other non-Bar Harbor ones they have. I am going to use them for the end 'walls' to hold up the roof that is going to be built over my big work bench (enabling me to pot up plants when it's raining, and to store glazed pots over the winter.) So thank you again so much for 'harping' on them so I could eventually unclog my mind and see through to a good use for them here. I also was able to get them (v.nice women up there)to price the (orignly $15, marked down to $7.50) v.big 2 stem amaryllis bulbs,close to being finished, to $3.50@. whoooeee!! i am doing a Girl Scouts Honor to myself that this coming season, I WILL fertilize them monthly like I am supposed to.

FYI everyone, not much to see there except xmas stuff and some elegant and lightweight real-looking fake cast iron black urns(outside the front door.)

best,
    mindy

• zahzeen
    14 years ago

If they repeat this sale next year (and I hope they do!) my plan will be go to Winchester on the 26th. Then Wayland and Concord too for their 75% off between the 27th and 31st. Then Brighton and Tewksbury on the 1st or shortly thereafter for their 90% off blue dots (guessing they'll be 75% off between the 26th and 31st like Winchester). Finally, back to Winchester around the 4th once they've put out the stuff from Wayland and Concord (Winchester was essentially putting blue dots on the blue dots from those two locations in some instances). Mark your calendar now, we'll synchronzie watches later in the year and go enmasse to grab the best bargains! Does anyone know if this is an annual event and not just an aberation this year because of the economy? Mindy, I'm am SO glad you got the large trellises - I'd hate to see someone outside our "club" scoop them up before you had the chance to check them out yourself. I really like the Windsor style the best out of those the Maine Trellis Company had displayed on their website - I liked the price too!

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anyone else out there who was happy to know about this sale?
    best,
    Mindy