Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ericsum_gw

Plants by mail question

ericsum
15 years ago

I've been looking through the Parks catalog and see a lot of stuff I would like to have in my yard. Some of the plants are shipped bare root and some are shipped in pots.

I am curious as to how the plants actually survive the trip? I am assuming that the bare root plants are in some sort of dormant state? How easy (or hard) is it to wake them up and what is the success rate?

What about the ones in pots? For instance a 3" pot, how do they ship that and ensure that the soil stays in the pot and that the plant doesn't die from dehydration in the week or so it is in the mail?

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    15 years ago

Parks has had a good reputation for years. I would say that you could just depend upon their procedures.

Some other sources have had a bad reputation for years. One called Michigan [something] is notorious.

Gardenweb has a Garden Sources forum. Perhaps you can get more current information there.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Actually, Parks Seed tends to get rather mixed reviews :-) I'd be very skeptical about the quality of their live plant products.....seeds may be better.

There scores of online and mail order plant companies - some are excellent, others so-so and a great many that should be avoided at all costs. So how do you know who's who? There is an excellent website called the Garden Watchdog that compiles information from thousands of gardeners across the country (also in Canada and elsewhere) specifically on online and mail order plant suppliers regarding the quality of the plants/seeds/gardening products they provide and more importantly, their customer service. Plants are living organisms and transporting them across country, often tiny little slips, and at unfavorable times and by mail is a risky business at best - somtimes problems will occur. But a good supplier will address these problems promptly and to your satisfaction, so superior customer service is essential.

Bare root plants are typically sent during their period of dormancy. The roots are protected and kept from drying out, otherwise the plant is typically just a little stick or not much more than a collection of roots. Often it is best to pot these up promptly and grow them on a bit before turning them loose in the garden where they can easily get lost or smothered or devoured by critters. If shipped during dormancy, they should be kept in conditions that will maintain them in that state until it is time for them to emerge from dormancy naturally. Potted plants generally are wrapped protectively to keep soil in the pot and ensure the top growth is undamaged during shipping. Often you can request various methods of shipping that will ensure your plants arrive in the shortest possible amount of time. It may be more expensive but it could well be worth the investment.

Shipping costs are another factor you should consider when selecting a mail order/online vendor - they can be all over the board! The Garden Watchdog will generally have comments that will address what may be excessively high shipping costs for some.

Some drawbacks to ordering plants by mail....the plants will generally be smaller than what you could find locally or if of the same size, will generally be more expensive than local products. That's pretty much a mail order fact of life :-) And you will have to pay shipping costs in addition. However, if you don't have many local nurseries or plant suppliers nearby, it may be the only way you can access some plants you want and in many cases, can be the best way to obtain uncommon or rare plants that are not widely available. But whenever possible, I would encourage gardeners to patronize their local independent retail nursery for good quality plants you can examine in person and without the expense of shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Garden Watchdog

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    15 years ago

I believe gardengal48 is correct. I should have researched my response before posting as I have not ordered plants in several years.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES