Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compost or mulch on slope

Posted by colebug z8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 29, 07 at 15:56

A year and a half ago we landscaped a rather steep slope. At that time we put newspaper, jute netting to hold the mulch and mulch down to suppress the weeds. Last summer the newspaper/mulch combo worked pretty well to suppress the weeds.

We are about to enter our second spring and have some weeds that need removing, and I am thinking about adding compost over everything to help suppress new weeds and feed the soil.

Because the slope is so steep, we try to stay off of the slope as much as possible and we will want to try to weed only a couple of times a year in certain areas.

Is compost the best product to use or should we use mulch? The original mulch we used was a black mulch that was wood with a bit of manure/compost added to make it black.

The main goal is to stay off the slope yet contain the weeds.

Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compost or mulch on slope

Mulch will do what you need it to much more satisfactorily.

o

At the very least, compost is soil and while putting down a thick layer of soil will smother some of the weedseeds, the new seeds that fly in are going to love all that rich soil. So a mulch will be much more effective, especially if you can find one that is mostly wood chips with little soil, and yes, put down another layer of paper under the new layer of mulch. The fresh paper will do better at blocking the light than plain mulch alone.

You might consider planting the slope thickly with a sturdy (but not overwhelmingly spreading or invasive) ground cover. If close enough together, the leaves of the desired plant will shade the soil to prevent most weed seeds from sprouting. Look around at a bed of daylilies - once established, little, if any, weeding needs to be done... and that is easier than having to re-mulch every year.

o

Thank you rizho 1 and medly nva for saving me from causing myself more work.

I am hoping that this is the year everything takes off so that this will be one of the last times I need to think about more mulch.

o

Oh, no... most gardeners never stop thinking about mulch... where to get it, where to put it, and -always- how much more does that bed/bush/slope/garden/etc need...

It's just that on one hand (*after* everything's well-mulched) you can be rather relaxed about it, sauntering around with a cart of shredded leaves; while on the other hand, if you try to ignore it, weeds will manage to poke through in the most awkward spots and you end up having to pull those intruders and *then* mulching.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here