Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marfr_gw

Advice for Wooded Land

marfr
11 years ago

Hi!

I have an area next to my house that is triangular (about 40'x50'x60'). It used to have a lot of trees (mostly elms) but we've had to cut down a lot lately because of disease. I would like to plant some more trees and other plants in the area, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a plan--I don't have experience designing gardens. Does anyone have any advice as to what I could plant or where I could find ideas for garden layouts? The area is slightly sloped with poor soil. I'm in zone 5.

Thank you very much!

Comment (1)

• edlincoln
    10 years ago

Insufficient Data. Where do you live? I tend to like to plant trees native to the area because it is more "earth friendly". How much effort are you willing to put into it? What sort of trees do you like? What are you looking for...decoration, shade, fruit, windbreaks, wildlife habitat?

I find for a novice, small potted trees are easier and have a better survival rate Fall and early spring are the best times to plant. I find Holly is really easy to get established. Crab Apples are fun...pretty flowers and fruit for jam. Real apple trees and Peach Trees make edible fruit and flowers, but are more delicate and more work. White Pine and fir are pretty, and tough if they grow big.

The American Persimmon and the Paw Paw are Native fruit trees.

Pine trees make the soil too acidic for most pants. If you are planting where pines used to be, you have more limited option.

Maianthemum canadense likes shade and spreads, so you can plant it under trees.

This post was edited by edlincoln on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 12:42