Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do with composted grass?

Posted by mynewgarden Oklahoma (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 31, 12 at 17:42

hi there. so im new to the whole gardening thing as of last year & i absolutely love it! Last summer my husband would put all the grass clippings in a pile behind the house. Well i was checking my compost bin the other day & i just so happened to look at the grass pile and i saw beautiful brown earth looking dirt mixed underneathe the not yet decomposed grass. Is there anything i can do with my composed grass? can i use it just like soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do with composted grass?

Spread it over the lawn. You'll be returning the fertilizer you used BACK to the soil so that it can be recycled into more ....grass. Your husband might consider leaving the clippings where he cuts them; a very good practice as long as the lawn is mowed often enough so that it doesn't look like a hay field, lol.

Composted grass clippings can be used just like and along with any compost. Nutrient rich, such compost is a benefit to any soil. That is, unless a lot of herbicides have been used.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here