Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I apply Confidor to the soil directly?

Posted by nihal Morocco (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 26, 09 at 8:10

Hello,

does anybody have any idea if I can use Confidor 200SL directly to the soil? My garden is quite large and mostly tall, and it is impossible for me to reach the top of all the plants, not to mention all the leaves. Since Confidor is Systemic, I was wondering if my pouring (or spraying?) the Confidor into the soil I might obtain the same protective effect without burning the roots??

All feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I apply Confidor to the soil directly?

Read labels before purchase, use, and storage of any pesticide. I have never use Condifor but systemic pesticides are usually dissolved in water before application. Condifor will have negative effects on pollinators such as bees so be for warned.

o

Thanks. I read the labels and of course i would dilute the Confidor (2,5ml/5liters of water). But the label doesn't say if the diluted product can be used directly on the soil and/or if it is best sprayed or poured.

Any additional feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks

o

Yes, its systemic actions are actually increased if applied as a soil drench rather than a foliar application (absorption and transmission is greater through the root system than through the leaves, as with fertilizers). Dilute to the appropriate concentration before application.

Imidacloprid is a very broad spectrum insecticide. I'd be concerned about disrupting the balance of natural predators by such a widespread application. What is it you are trying to control through its use?

o

Thanks very much Gardengal48. Last year I had a HUGE infestation of white flies which I caught too late; this year they have started up again along with the appearance of scales (I live on the Meditterranean, so it gets warm early) ; I will use Confidor to kill the current white flies and (hopefully) avoid any more. According to what I have read and been told, Confidor only needs to be used once a season, and the earlier it is used, the more effective. I realize that it is not ideal, but our resources are limited here and i am hoping that by only using it in a limited manner it will be effective but not too damaging to the natural balance.
Thanks again,

o

Confidor has a soil life of about two weeks. As the plants grow, you will have to apply more if the infestation reappears, so be ever observant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here