Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants Near My Pool - Need Suggestions

Posted by dschribs 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 10:50

I'm looking for some recommendations from the experts here on the forum. I live in CT and I'm looking for a suggestion on some plants. I want to put some tall grassy plants against the chain link fence around my pool. I have an area inside the fence about 16x6 where I'm going to be planting these plants. I want something that's about 4/6 feet tall and has sort of a grassy look to it rather than a foundation type plant. Ideally it would be something that doesn't give off seeds or anything since it's near my pool.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants Near My Pool - Need Suggestions

Anyone?

o
RE: Plants Near My Pool - Need Suggestions

Is the 6 inches or feet? By grassy plants do you mean anything herbaceous, not woody, or do you literally mean looking like grass?

For specific plant suggestions, you might want to ask at the New England forum. Realistically, most any plant will give off a certain amount of debris, but tall grasses or non-running (clumping) bamboo might be a good choice as they tend to hold together relatively well until winter when you aren't using the pool. You should cut them back before spring growth starts. If you are OK with non-grasses, you could grow flowering vines on the fence, such as Clematis. Any debris from petal drop should be far enough away to not end up in the pool, and in my garden the seeds stay attached well until after pool season. Type 3 prune Clematis get cut back to about 1'-2' over the cold season so debris gets removed all at once. Siberian iris have a short growing season, but don't generate much debris in my garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here