Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lullabyf360

Would you create a facebook gardening group?

LullabyF360
9 years ago

Or do you have one already?

I am a member on a few facebook groups already, but these are all for pepper growers. I'm into a little bit of everything when it comes to gardening and finding groups are slim. Several people (on the groups I am member of, friends, family) have been suggesting I make my own as they wish to talk about something other than peppers. Frankly, I think it would be too much trouble to manage or find members. I'm one of those facebook users, who only uses it to see what my ex-classmates and family are doing. Despite this, I would also like to connect with other gardeners in my area/state. In the modern age facebook is everywhere (and I find it slightly annoying to have to go to a facebook page rather than a website). GW seems to have a more wealth of knowledge and more active members than I think I could find if I were to create a facebook page.

Comments (5)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

Facebook already seems to have more plant-related groups than it can ever hope to support with decent contributions/input. I belong to bunches of Facebook gardening groups, and most are just a waste of time with only minimal activity. What activity I do see on most of them is nothing compared to what I am used to on GardenWeb so far as quality of information. Facebook, for the most part, seems like a place for people who just want to make conversation and not for people really wanting to find or provide real, useful information.

• tanya117
    9 years ago

I didn't realize that facebook had so many gardening groups. It is a good idea.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I used to belong to a few gardening groups of FB. Got tired of reading posts in which the OP would say "I had trouble with "x", how do I fix it?" but they'd give no supporting details. Then you'd have a bunch of people giving all sorts of different, mostly useless, advice and I'd just be shaking my head wondering how these people could know what the OP should do without any knowledge of the OP's situation.

The only gardening groups on FB I belong to now is a Winter Sowers group and a plant propagation group.

Rodney

• tanya117
    9 years ago

I will have to check out Facebook and see what gardening groups are there...

• Debbie Sheegog
    9 years ago

I started my Facebook about 7 years ago, around the time my youngest son at age 15 started one. I have had a very positive experience here, and on several levels. I have discovered it is my go-to place several times a week, for connection with friends and places, and also for yes, finding out about the beauty of having knowledgeable friends to ask as well as from pages for different stores/companies and blogs for information, including the best sites for anything...like the many incredible live cams for "birders" I found through other people , whom I friended during live-chats. You would be amazed how many people in certain categories of what they like on Facebook, who will give you tried and true sites beyond one, to find. A few of us have been "friends" for 6 years! We were and still are, all watching same sites. Example; there is a live-cam, one of many nation-wide,, on Catalina, Ca., of an Eagles' next, a great one & maybe still there, Duke Eagle nesting site, was a favorite, and more Eagle sites for the asking of the others watching. The humming birds sites: you can keep up with by dropping into it every so often, and see the Mom actually nesting, flitting around, close up live cam that has been up for about 5 years, this one repeatedly returns to the same rose bush to build nests, and the site is professional yet friendly and intelligent ,with past videos avail. on their Facebook, in case you missed an egg or two hatching! "Phoebe Allans" is "her" name! I highly recommend her Facebook, friendly, easy to use, and amazing footage and discussions. I found that the bird watching folks usually share a passion for our gardening and wildlife! People I met have advice about gardens , are planting gardens to attract and sustain our birds and butterflies.

I imagine that putting out a question may/may not get all the responses that are so good here, on Houzz/GardenWeb, yet you can explore other websites, links, that gardeners use, and still go to Google to find fast answers which leads to all kinds of places to look through. A large group like GardenWeb will normally establish a "Page", as it has thousands of friends and followers. Much sharing goes on within some of the better ones. It also attracts people, so I say go for it!

Facebook is for connection and reaching out as well as a social media, so to speak. That is fun, too. I usually now like to share news and important issues around environment, our state's neglectful attitude about our land as we invite in gas and oil explorations, and through a local news piece I learned about the N. C. groups who are very proactive and got me involved with emails, personal when Federal representatives and reps. looking for opportunities to explore our beautiful state for resources were to be here for a press conference; I am writing letters to the editors of papers now soon across the state, it is worth the effort and can make a difference to have a voice.

Facebook is my means of sharing things like this with 400 people, some of who then share again. It's a good place to get involved in local service opportunities, and online discussions about some of the most in-depth subjects in life that I ever imagined, as I was online with people around the globe. It's about sharing the "word" for me now, and catching the news about people I rarely get to see. Brandon 7, give it another shot, it is a shame that you didn't find it interesting and don't get that at all.

* (too much data, so will show her later) I have posted if they let me, a photo sideways again, sorry, of a rose of a fragrant variety, who has been in her large container from day one! I have ivy in for evergreen interest, since this is at our farm, between Chapel Hill and Mebane and Saxapahaw, in the middle of N. C. We can dip into 20's many days in winter, with 2 years in a row of snowstorms that left at least 6" each week for a month, which has been unusual or at least since I was a child in nearby Reidsville, only 20 miles from the Va. border. Whatever I plant has to be a tough one, in the containers even surprised that there is the creeping Jenny, a small red Nandina shrub version, with ivy and violas surviving our 20 degrees down east as well, (see photo, taken last week at my landscape friend's home)! We are at the beach house mainly now, where I also have containers here for(cont.)

seasonal plantings, a raised bed for herbs and such, and a stucco wall someone kindly built around our small house, ( a U shape, with gates for entry on each side of the front), upon which we can trail one rose that is in the ground. I can only keep two hybrid roses here due to the natural lack of sun,( they were planted in the ground, maintained by the pro who does our yard work every few weeks).

I discovered container gardening when we were selling our home 4 yrs. ago, when I did a lot of creative staging with flowering or green plants on our deck/garden to be beautiful year-round. We began potting and staging them according to the seasons. Garden centers I frequent guide me to what I need. They,(planters), did, and do, great things, especially for those of us who are physically challenged and can't stay out all day like we want to! An hour or two is my limit usually, or I will pay the price of some pain in my spine ~ thus the double- beauty of raised and large containers, allowing even staging pots within changeable pots as the weather dictates. Good luck, all, happy almost spring, check out Facebook and reach out a bit!