Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luv_my_gardenia8

gardenia explosion

luv_my_gardenia8
17 years ago

My georgeous, giant gardenia (brought inside for cold Minn winter) has just started producing buds - I can hardly believe the possibilities here - over 50 buds on this beauty! How can I coerce them to bloom for me (ie. prevent them from all turning brown and falling off???) I am so excited, I don't want to "DO" anything that could jeopardize these buds.

Once/week (after my nice, humid bath/shower) I keep the door closed and humidity in and give it it's own shower and leave it to soak up all that moisture in the air for a few hours. The Twin Cities has had lots of sunny days lately, and the big beauty gets bright (south-facing)sunlight from about 10:30 to 2pm. I saw a site that mentioned cool evenings. Do I dare try anything different? I could put it in the bathtub at night and close furnace register to cool it a little bit.

This plant is really large for a potted plant - it brushes the wall and shower curtain, but it seems really (can I say?) happy. Has the profuse of sunlight tricked it? I would really love to convince it to bloom - any suggestions out there?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner