Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
c__j

I have never had a garden of any type and want one

christine
18 years ago

What would you plant first. I have never had any type of garden and I would eventually like both vegetable and flower. I probably want to start a flower garden first. But I do not have a clue on where to begin.

I have moved to South Carolina a year ago into a new home with a swervy dirt border around the house, where flowers probably should go, but i don't know what to plant or how to arrange them so they work well together. Larger in back medium in middle and smaller in front. I don't know how many to plant so it looks nice and full. I don't like sparse looking flower beds.

HELP!!! SO MANY QUESTIONS. But I really want this for a new house and a new beginning.

Thank you,

Christine

Comments (5)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

You need to become familiar with Clemson's HGIC (Home and Garden Information Center) and start reading some of the many great fact sheets they have. KNOWLEDGE is your key to success, believe me. Loading up on a ton of plants should be the last part of your journey.

Since we don't know where you live in the great state of SC, we can't really advise you other than in very general terms. There are vastly differing soils and climates within the state. I moved FROM SC about three years ago, after over 20 years living and working in the Lowcountry.

Here is a link that might be useful: HGIC Clemson

• momofjacole_sc_rr_com
    18 years ago

Thank you, I will check out that site most definitely. I live in Myrtle Beach, SC.

thank you,
    Christine

• meldy_nva
    18 years ago

Also read Mel Bartholomew's "Square Foot Gardening"; it's basic common sense for home veg gardens and excellent for beginners.

Search in this forum for 'lasagna' since soil is the first and most important component of any garden. Also search for 'new beds'; there has been quite a lot of information already posted. Read the FAQs (click the tab at the top of this page). Believe the tip that says "start small." Gardening can be like walking into a Chef's Expo - you won't get overstuffed (or overwhelmed) if you take your gardening in very small bites.

Plan. You don't have to follow the plan, but the act of thinking out what you want and what steps will be required to get what you want, will help prepare you for the reality of accomplishing those steps. If you like formality, you probably won't like cottage gardens [and vice versa], so think about what you are comfortable with when you plan.

Don't fib to yourself. If you can't comfortably lift a 25 pound bag of groceries, don't try to lift a 30 lb rock. If you only have Saturday mornings free to play in the garden, don't attempt to do a full day's work in that one morning -- first, it can't be done; and second, it's frustrating to fail. Gardens provide lots of other opportunities for frustration, you don't need to invent any. You will find almost everything takes two to ten times longer than you expect; and until you've built up the appropriate muscles, most gardening activities are going to be physically tiring, so go easy on yourself.

Dream. We all do, and some of us actually manage to make our dreams reality. Most of us don't, and that's okay because sometimes the dream is just a guideline, and the detours we take make the result even more interesting.

Enjoy. Make a point of walking your area every day or two; just to look (altho as you age, jotting notes in a small notebook is darned helpful to remember what you saw; in fact it's helpful even to young'uns -- it's shocking how fast you will forget just which plant looked good when). Make another point to sit back and do nothing but look around for at least a half-hour every week. You'll find those weeds or mis-placed plants which irritate you when viewed up close often blend in very nicely when viewed from a distance - and if they don't, you'll be rested and ready to move them. Sitting time is also a good time to dream, maybe about putting in paths, or a birdbath, or a shrub that blooms in a particular season, or a way to use vegs in the floral border. Whatever, gardening is meant to be enjoyed.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    18 years ago

Christine, you're getting lots of good advice here, I would certainly repeat the tip to walk around and view gardens, get a clear idea of what appeals to you, taking notes. Many good nurseries also have display gardens here, those might be other places to visit for ideas for things that do well in your area. Another is your library for those lovely illustrated books just full of examples.

I would like to share something though that I consider a mistake I've made myself...

You mentioned swervy dirt border around the house (and don't feel afraid to change the shape or dimensions if you wish)....do you mean immediately around the house foundation? Are there other places on your property where you could create the multi-level beds that are heavily planted? I ask because at some point in your home ownership, you're going to need to do some maintenance on that house, and dense, full plantings near the foundation are going to be in harm's way no matter what you do to try to protect them from painters, gutter repair persons, siding installers. Keeping foundation plantings designed with sturdier shrubs and your lush perennial and annual beds a bit farther away might be something to consider :)

• vetivert8
    18 years ago

Read the labels.

If the label doesn't carry vital information such as 'roughly how high and how wide' you could end up with a monster in the wrong place if you fell in love with the flowers and bought it anyway.

Totally agree with the advice on keeping access to the house clear for ongoing maintenance.

That also goes for the plants you put in. Willows near the house - particularly anywhere that your sewage line or water lines run - could provide you with lots of drama and big bills. Those little feeder roots will find the tiniest opportunity to colonise pipes. And it usually comes to a head in the middle of a holiday... ;-)

Think about shading. It's lovely in summer. In autumn it's leaves in the gutter and slush in the forecourt, or a thick duff of evergreen leaflets. if you've planted evergreens too close to the house - bigger power bills because the house is too gloomy.

It's cheaper to read the labels first - then go to see what an established plant looks like in someone else's garden before you buy.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor