Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocklandgardener

Reclaiming Playground for Garden

rocklandgardener
10 years ago

Hi. First time poster. The kids are grown and I am planning to reclaim the section of the yard where their old wooden swing-set stood for use as a vegetable garden. Somewhere under all that snow the ground is covered in wood chips, and has been covered (and recovered) in wood chips several times over the past 8-10 years. I imagine the soil is compacted after all these years, but do I need to remove all the wood chips? Or can I simply turn them into the soil? And if so, what other types of organic material will I most likely need to add? Compost? Peat moss? Manure? Would it help me to build raised beds? And still, what about the soil under the raised beds? Thanks & sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question.

Comments (3)

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

I would till the chips in. If they are really thick I would set some aside for later use as a mulch.
    I use a lot of wood chips in my garden.
    Mike

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

When was the last time you added chips - that is, how aged are they? If it's been a couple of years and there aren't too many, till them in as Mike suggested. If there are still a fair amount there or they are fresher, rake them off and stockpile them in a heap in a back corner or in a couple of trash cans, or use them as mulch under existing shrubs. Too many wood chips trying to rot in your soil will reduce available nitrogen in the short term, though wood chips on the surface aren't an issue since the roots are lower down. You can use the chips to cover paths in the veggie garden to reduce weeds once it is created.

The soil is probably better under the play area than it started out since wood chips have been breaking down and adding organic matter for years. I'd till in well rotted manure if it's available along with leftover wood chips and then plant. You also might want to get a soil test done if the soils in your area are really acidic (here I need to add lime or wood ash) or basic since veggies are happiest closer to the middle of the pH scale. The main potential problem I can see is that you don't want to be tilling and walking on your beds when the soil is wet in the spring, so wait until the soil is slightly damp as opposed to really wet before tilling or turning with a spading fork. I usually do all my soil prep in the fall when it's drier and then plant directly into the beds in the spring once they have dried out some.

Whether you do raised beds or in-ground beds depends on your preferences; I don't anticipate any issues with the soil under your playground. In-ground beds will need to be edged along any shared borders with the lawn to keep grass out. This can be a cut edge (V shaped in cross section) or a buried edging. Raised beds will need to be created. Raised beds will drain better and warm sooner in spring. In ground beds will be warmer in winter for crops like garlic or rhubarb, though that may not be an issue in zone 6. IMO raised beds need less bending and squatting, but are easier to turn soil in than raised beds, but that's just my opinion. From past experience, I wouldn't make beds more than 4' wide at the most since that will allow your arms to reach the bed's center without having to step into the bed.

This forum is fine, and there is also a vegetable garden forum if you don't get enough info here.

• rocklandgardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for your responses. It's truly appreciated. We just got another several inches of snow cover...but even though it doesn't seem like the yard will ever dry out, I'm looking forward to the spring that's surely just ahead. Thanks again and cheers!