Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhondavas77_gw

New to gardening and I'm not sure where to start...

RHONDAVAS77
12 years ago

Hello everyone my name is Rhonda and i'm from Houston Tx. I just took a interest in flower gardening to try to beautify my yard also as well as a way to relieve stress from everyday life and relax. I just wanted to ask if anyone knew what types of flowers do well in this "Houston" weather? Also I've already planted some flower's (gerbera daises, begonias,shasta daisies,and a few more that i can't remember their names!) in my little flower bed's out front, and before I knew it I notices the petals and leaves from my gerbera daisys were being slowly eaten away...also I noticed small little nat-looking insects flying around the flower bed...I'm not sure if they were the culprit but I didn't find anything else. I asked several of neighbors about what I should use to deter the varmints and they all told me different things...one said sevin dust, one told me to plant marigolds, and the other told me if I put cedar mulch down it would help with pest control. So my question is what is the best way to control pests without damaging the plants or the environment? I would really appreciate any advice that anyone could give me since I basically know nothing about my "new found interest"!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living