Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hanging flower plants in windy area

Posted by
Linda OH
(franconia101@verizon.net) on
Tue, Feb 28, 06 at 18:32

I need to know what plants will tolerate a southwest patio that has lots of wind. I have shepherd hooks and would really like to have "real" flowers - instead of silk ones. Any help for me? Thanks. Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hanging flower plants in windy area

One plant that would do well in that kind of hostile placement is the Portulaca oleracea and all of its beautiful cultivars. This is not the tiny leaved portulaca that we call moss rose, but a hybridized version of plain old purslane. They now come in stunning jewel-like colors and will bloom their heads off from spring until frost. They require full sun conditions in order to thrive, and I suggest planting them with some slow release fertilizer to keep them blooming. You can find these plants in pretty pastels or the HOTTEST hot pink you can imagine!

I've even placed them in a beach front exposure where they were hammered with salt laden wind 24/7.

Here is a link that might be useful: Portulaca oleracea

o

Thank you so much. I will definitely give them a try - now to find them. If it would survive the salt 24/7 - it should be able to withstand my winds I would think. Linda

o

Look for them in the garden centers as soon as temperatures warm up. You should be able to find them already in hanging baskets or in 4 or 6 inch pots that you can plant up yourself.

o
flowering climbers

Hello! I really need your help. I'd like to plant a few climbers in my yard, preferably flowering ones, suitable for Mediterranean climate. The problem is that they need to be tolerant to sun and strong wind. Any ideas? Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here