Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slowlane

Where to start? Is it even POSSIBLE?

slowlane
18 years ago

Hi all. I'm not a total novice to gardening, but my experience (such as it is) is mostly with vegetable gardening. I've done a good bit of reading, but I tend to have little patience with the details of gardening--like what kind of plants like what kind of soil and whether plants can live in my zone :P

As a result, I don't have the BEST of luck with my plants. To further complicate matters, I garden (and everyting else) organically, AND I hate, hate, HATE to weed. (In fact, as a child, I actually grew a weed garden--didn't have to worry about weeding THAT!)

So here's my question (be patient; it's coming): I live on a .77 acre lot that is long and narrow and vaguely pie shaped. There's a city ditch along one property line, old-growth privit hedge (unpruned) along most of two other lines. And there are lots of mature pecan trees along the edges of the property--no chance of taking those down, so don't suggest it.

Other than that, the property was bare when I bought it--any plants or trees that had once grown here had been cut or otherwise disposed of.

I want a beautiful, easy care, no-weeding-required four-season organic garden that is wildlife friendly (I'm in a small town, so my "wildlife" consists of birds, squirrels, 'possums, rabbits and the occasional racoon).

THE QUESTION (finally): where do I start? It all seems SO overwealming. I've lived here 14 years now, and have planted some nandina near the house and some crepe myrtle by the road, some figs and a few other fruit trees (again, on a property line), and started a veggie garden. But I want paths and garden rooms and hard-scapes.

I'm not much of a planner, either, on top of all my OTHER gardening faults. Is there ANY hope for me to have a wonderful garden?

Comments (5)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hold tight - I'm off to find a Genie.

I wish you luck, but successful gardening requires patience, planning, and pluck. I think you're asking for too much return on what you're willing to invest.

Al

• meldy_nva
    18 years ago

I think Al is right if you want a *really* Successful, beautiful garden that everyone admires and possibly even envies -- without investing time or knowledge.

But it is a reachable goal, IF you accept that (unless you want to waste time & money) you do need to know each plant's requirements for soil, moisture and drainage, sunlight, and temperature range. Labor can be minimized by planning ahead (it's a lot harder to care for an unhappy plant) and by realizing that both mountain paths and gardens are easiest when taken in small, consistent steps.

I would hope that you have made use of this forum's 'search' feature to look up 'new beds' (or even just "new"); 'mulch' and 'lasagna' so that you can get a feel for the basics. Lasagna is a method of making good soil, and mulch is an absulute necessity for getting the best of weeds. I am also OG, and I doubt you hate weeding more than I do, lol - but I will say it IS possible to have both healthy vegs and lovely flowers with few weeds, but one must put forethought, planning, and a certain amount of labor into reaching a nearly weed-free state.

First you need to decide what you really want, and what is needed to accomplish that desire, and how much effort you are willing to invest. You live in a good zone to grow most plants, but be realistic -don't dream of blue poppies unless you live in the coolest mountains; don't expect zone 10 perennials to live through our winters; and don't try to get a complete landscape finished in one season unless you have lots of help (and money); and please, don't bite off (or dig up) more than you can truly do. ALL gardens take time and effort, and more of both than anyone really wants to admit.

As we have said before, dream big but start small! If you will use the search feature, you will find more than a few lists of recommended steps for the beginner to start gardening. The lists vary both because the original posts differ and because those who respond do get tired of saying the same things over and over and over.

Get a copy of Bartholomew's "Square Foot Gardening" for the easy way to nudge the veg garden into being reasonable. Read up on and/or get Lanza's books on the Lasagna method. Get a notebook to keep track of dreams (your posting can be the first entry), and another notebook to help keep track of reality: exactly where the first path should go; when did xxx bloom, what you planted and when and where -- details 'cuz those details will each add flavoring to the finished product.

Now, pick one small thing, describe it and then list every separate step necessary to accomplish it! For instance, You want a buddleia to attract butterflies and protect/conceal the edge of the drainage ditch so you would list: A-is buddleia suitable for my planting zone and climate? B- how big will it be when full grown and is that a good size for the site? C-which color attracts the most butterflies? D-find a neighbor willing to share a seedling or cutting or D-price in local nursery or D-price in catalog; E-dig the planting hole and prepare the soil (if lasagna, this is best done several months before actually planting) and refill the hole. F-have mulch on hand to protect the baby after it's planted. G-obtain the new plant [from one of the choices listed in D]. H-dig the hole and plant the new baby, watering in thoroughly. i-mulch well around the new plant. j-remember to water new plants every week that Nature doesn't provide an inch of rainfall! As you see, when taken step-by-step it isn't overwhelming -- and I hope you did note that "A" is the all-important first step: don't waste time/effort/money on what won't grow for you!

• slowlane
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the thoughtful response, Meldy Nva. I'm not at all opposed to hard work, and I think I have my share of "pluck." Perhaps I worded my original post badly, but the points I was trying to make were that I need to aim for an easy-care garden (flowers) that can thrive organically AND that I don't have the kind of gardening vision at this point necessary to put the whole yard on paper, plan it and work from there.

I especially like your "one small thing" approach. I'll start there and move out.

I actually own and have read Square Foot gardening. I haven't heard of the Lasagna method--will have to look for that, too.

Thanks, again, for the input--and for leaving some hope intact :)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

The key to having the type of garden you envision is planning, as well as knowledge and cultural understanding of the plants that will perform best in your specific location with minimal care. If this is not your forte (and it is very wise to recognize what input you can or cannot provide for your garden), then perhaps it would be a valuable investment to consult with a professional who can supply what you can't. For a relatively modest fee, a garden designer can help you formulate a master plan for your garden that will incorporate your desire for garden rooms and appropriate hardscapes as well as a list of plants that will compliment them while being durable, attractive over a long season and low maintenance. This you can implement over time as your schedule, enthusiasm and budget allows.

Great gardens do not happen magically - they take time and planning as well as considerable effort. You seem to have the intent to put forth effort and you can get help with the planning - time will take care of the rest :-) Good luck!

• slowlane
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, GardenGal :) I'll look into that, too.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus