Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goddess9_gw

A watering question (truth: I'm neurotic)

goddess9
12 years ago

So, I re-potted some of my new, root-bound succulents. I kept seeing that people put shards on the bottom of the new pot to promote drainage. My pots had several holes.

...So I break one of my plates.

Okay. I put one (or two) down over the holes, making sure they're not flat against them. I re-pot as usual and water the plants since they haven't been watered for who knows how long.

Some drain, some don't. Am I going to kill my plant's roots if they don't drain? I watered them thoroughly - more than I'm usually comfortable with since I tend to underwater. Help me?

Comments (6)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Pot shards are NOT put in the bottom of a pot to promote drainage. They are used simply to prevent the potting medium from exiting the holes when the plant is being watered properly.

The only thing that can encourage drainage is a coarse textured, fast draining potting medium. One cannot add gravel or anything else to the bottom of a container and expect it to improve drainage if the potting mix is a mucky one.

About your watering practices...you should water thoroughly EVERY time you water. Each and every time. All of the excess should drain out rapidly, and will do so if the mix is a porous one. Then, you simply don't water again until the 'time if right'.

This rule applies to succulents just as much as any other plant. Drench them on watering day, and then allow them to dry out. How long that takes depends upon a large number of variable, but I will simply sum it up by saying that you water your plants when they need it. I have some plants that require watering (in the summer) every day, while others don't need it for a couple of weeks. Little sips of water are a detriment to the development of a healthy root system.

I use little pieces of that plastic grid used for needlepoint and/or cross-stitch, which can be found in any craft department, rather than pot shards. Works perfectly to keep the medium in while allowing the excess water to drain freely. I strongly recommend it over shards.

• goddess9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you. I guess I was misinformed!

I heard about the chicken wire...I'm going to seek that out for my next plants.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Ditto what Rhizo said, but I use window screen replacement fabric over drainage holes when repotting, sold by the foot at most hardware stores.

There is more than one reason to water thoroughly (but only when needed)....first the root development, but also to prevent a buildup of harmful salts over time in the potting medium. My water quality is good, but still I fill pots to the brim until water is running freely from the drainage holes each time I do water, both indoor plants and out. Indoors, that means carrying to a sink, no watering over drainage saucers. One coffee 'tree' that can't be moved easily is taken outside in Spring and in Fall and the soil flushed (again, filled to the brim until water is freely draining several times over)

If not mixing your own, do you know that nurseries will carry a potting medium formulated for succulents and cacti? Very coarse to meet their needs.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Um, goddess.....I didn't say chicken wire.

And ditto what Morz says, lol!

• goddess9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, Rhizo. My brain leaps off into other things once I read. I thought grid and then it jumped to chicken wire!

Morz, thank you. I'm watering my plants (when dry) until they drain. It makes me nervous still but they're happy. I make my own mix - 50/50 potting mix and perlite.

I guess I'm neurotic AND too fast of a reader. ^_^*

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Am I going to kill my plant's roots if they don't drain? Betting on that would be an almost sure thing.

Anything you have around the house or yard that will prevent the soil from being washed out of the drain hole(s) while allowing water to escape will work. I often use broken seashells. The curvature and uneven edges are perfect.

Sponsored