Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PlantSpotting. A Conceptual Project.

Posted by Wintermute42 none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 20:29

Hi everyone!

I am a final year Industrial Design student at Brunel University, currently undertaking a brief looking at possible products for the National Geographic in 2030 with the idea of 'Make the reader the explorer'. This has lead me to begin to develop a concept 'PlantSpotting'. A device that can be kept on your person to identify plants/their health etc and communicates with a smart device with the aim of encouraging people to reengage with flora, perhaps through gamification, collection etc.

For more information such as visualisation, research overviews and user scenarios please see the project over at:

http://lukefirth.co.uk/plantspotting/

To you, if something like this existed how would you like to use it? What would you like it to do or tell you? And how best do you think with technology can we get the general public to get more actively involved in caring and engaging with plants?

Any comments or feedback is greatly appreciated, you guys input could directly effect the direction of this project.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PlantSpotting. A Conceptual Project.

If you haven't already, may I suggest you look on this site at the Name That Plant forum and the one/s for weeds and pests.

Those who post answers there are already game-engaged.

Having a tool that enables quick and accurate identification of mystery plants seems to be associated with a certain sort of mindset. I'm personally not sure whether this can be passed on to the general public.

If I had one - it would have to be robust, water and dirt proof, solar powered, and linked to databases that range from the sub alpine to the tropics (please look at the zones part of the user ID to see what I mean).

The databases would need to span indigenous flora, pest plants for the area, exotic introductions. (Or useful subsets, initially.) Various online sites already have the foundations for this - here, with Hortiplex, Dave's Garden, Floridata, Pacific Bulb Society etc.

If this is a serious tool, then make it for serious users - including those perennial pests - botanists, who are forever changing perfectly good species names(!), growers and breeders, plus the nice folk at Bio-security and parks & reserves rangers and volunteers, and botanical gardens such as Kew.

If you want to make a 'fun' toy for a small segment of possible users then that's a very different marketing exercise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here