Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Use Rototiller to Get Rid of Grass?

Posted by garrai81 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 20:58

I have a 20' x 20' stretch of grass that I am going to be using for a garden.

What is the easiest way to get rid of this grass?

Can I use a rototiller to get rid of the grass and just plough it under?

Or will the grass keep growing?

I would rather not spend many hours with a shovel, scraping the grass from the surface.

Thanks.

Mac

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Use Rototiller to Get Rid of Grass?

Strip the grass,perhaps with a rented sod cutter.
Stack the pieces upside down, cover with a heavy tarp, and let the stack compost for at least a year then add back to the garden.

If you only till it under, you'll have LOTS more grass.

o

Thanks for the great ideas.

Mac

o

If you smother the grass, it takes a few months to make sure it is dead, but then does not need to be removed. Not ready to use as quickly, but the easiest to do, and no loss of the top soil and organic material of the dead grass. As a compromise, you could sit potted plants in the area while waiting to make sure the grass is dead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here