Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you water your plants with water you have steamed veges in?

Posted by azzansw NSW Aust sydney (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 7, 07 at 21:34

Hi,

I live in Australia and we are currently experiencing a major drought, it is so bad we are about to go into stage 4 water restrictions so as you can imagine any bit of water is precious.
I was wondering if the water that is left over after I steam my vegetables allright to water my plants with?(obviously after it is cooled down)
Cheers Aaron.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you water your plants with water you have steamed veges i

Yes, as long as there is no salt, butter, etc.

o
RE: Can you water your plants with water you have steamed veges i

I think cooking water comes under the term 'grey water', which is water you wouldn't want to drink, but actually doesn't have anything more human-sickening than soap in it. Your plants just might think you are giving them a treat, since most cooking water will have traces (and thus nutrients) of the vegs that had been cooked.

If you aren't already, switch to using soap (not detergent) for washing everything including dishes and people; a mild solution of white vinegar is an excellent rinse for soapy items. The used wash and rinse waters are quite satifactory for gardens -- remember that soapy water is an OG treatment to get rid of bugs in the garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here