Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is that smell?

Posted by moo_sue z5 NY City (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 06 at 21:39

This is weird. Right outside my front door is a strong odor of cat urine. I have a cat but she doesn't go outside - too much traffic. I only see one or two cats around - I am beginning to think the odor is coming from a hedge-like bush near my front door. If I cut some greenery from it the odor isn't noticeable - but sometimes as I am walking by the stench just jumps out and smacks me. Could it be this bush? How can I deal with this problem without offending?

***The bush is an evergreen and gets hollow red berries in the fall.

Thanks/Sues

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is that smell?

I'm pretty new to this, but there are two possibilities that I can think of.

Boxwood can have an unusual urine-like odor, but it doesn't have red berries.
Here's a link with pictures:
http://landscaping.about.com/od/evergreenshrubsbushes1/p/english_boxwood.htm

Hollow red berries sounds like an english yew.
Another link with pictures:
http://landscaping.about.com/od/evergreenshrubsbushes1/a/japanese_yews.htm

o

I strongly suspect that the cats are marking their territory on a regular basis, and you just haven't caught them at it. It would only take ONE male cat to create this kind of stench. I'll be that if you take some steps to repell this kind of behavior, that the odor will eventually go away.

In other words, the plants are not the problem!

o

I also think it's a cat marking its territory. We had one do that to us last year. We thought it was a gas leak. The confirmation was the presence of cat poop in the area of the smell.

o

• Posted by nurmey 5 Omaha, NE (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 14, 06 at 19:44

I think you have Yews. They have and always will smell like cat pee to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here