Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
snowball

Posted by rosemg 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 16, 10 at 21:58

I have a shrub in the carriage way called commonly a snowball tree but I cannot find any information on it under this name. Blooms in spring with big ball white flowers which last for a very short time. The branches are weak on this particular plant. Anyone know anything about this shrub?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: snowball

Snowball bush or European snowball, prefers a moist location and adapts to most soils. The large spherical flowers open apple green and then turn white.

It is grown in part shade or full sun. Is your bush getting enough sun. If it is leggy then maybe not. It needs at least 6 hours of direct sun. Maybe that's why its stems are weak.

It could probably use a pruning too. Prune it in early summer, after its flowering has finished. Clip the ends of the branches to remove spent flowers and thin out older stems to rejuvenate the shrub and keep it looking tidy.

o
RE: snowball

"Snowball" bushes are species of Viburnums. However, several different species of Viburnums are known as snowballs - Chinese snowball (Viburnum macrocephalum), Japanese snowball (Viburnum plicatum), European snowball (Viburnum opulus 'Roseum') and fragrant snowball (Viburnum x carlecephalum). The one with the largest flowers is the Chinese but probably not hardy in your zone. I'd go with the European as well :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Viburnum opulus 'Roseum'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here