Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving cross country with plant

Posted by leee (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 24, 07 at 22:45

Tried this one in another forum with no results.
Transporting pineapple plant in car?

I have a pineapple plant that I started about 3 years ago. In that time it grew large but never produced a pineapple. Now I am moving cross country in a few weeks, I was going to give it away. Of course, today, I noticed the tiny crown (or flower) of a pineapple coming out of the middle!
Can I trim the leaves/spikes/whatever they are down for transportation and will it survive the trip with the space saving trimming done? It spans at least 2.5 ft. across and this wont fit in my car this way.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving cross country with plant

Lee, how big is the pot? Can you drop it into a "sleeve" That will sorta compact the leaves upwards into a cone shape???
If you are stopping for the night,don't forget to take it inside. The few plant losses I have had from moving have been from cold in the car.
Good luck

o

I just looked at the width of my butt, and I really think that you can get that plant into the back seat of your car. As Beth says, wrap it so the leaves don't break off. I'd use bubble wrap wound tightly around it and then secured with duct tape. If you do a good job of wrapping, you can even lay the potted plant on its side in the trunk while traveling; just don't let it roll back and forth or it might upchuck some soil. Pineapples are temperature-sensitive, so keep it warm while travelling.

The plant might survive severely trimmed leaves but it will likely pout for a year or two, if not actually going into a terminal decline.

o

The importation of non-certified plant material is restricted in a number of states. Be sure to check first that your plant will be allowed into and accepted in its new home.

o

wonder if you could mail it or ship it to yourself at the new place?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here