Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recovering, learning and seeking help

Posted by BrianW23 none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 6:51

Having suffered badly with depression and anxiety for a number of years I joined a gardening therapy group called Twigs ( http://twigscommunitygardens.org.uk/ ) and it has really been a saviour. I have just started one of their gardening courses for a nationally recognised qualification and any advice at all you can give to a new gardener would be most welcome. What are the most basic, essential things to remember when gardening?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recovering, learning and seeking help

I don't know what made me visit this forum today, but I'm glad I did. What a fantastic resource Twigs is (thank you for the link the that website). I am pleased to hear you have found gardening such a help in your recovery. Stick with it! :-)

While I am not a new gardener, I am not a seasoned gardener, either, so I am not sure what advice I could give you other than to enjoy what you're doing and not take it too seriously. Sometimes trial and error and "happy accidents" are the most effective teachers.

Best of luck with your courses! I hope you keep us posted about your progress.

o

Thank you, I will. So far we have prepared seed trays, sifted compost and planted seeds, covering with vermiculite then watering and placing in a propagator. We also learned about stratification and scarification and we have to memorise the parts of a plant before Friday. There are 12 sessions in all and a lot to learn in that time but it's fun and it gives me confidence.

o

What kinds of plants are you growing from seed? Mostly flowers, mostly vegetables, or both? I tend to grow mostly vegetables, but I admire people who grow flower gardens. Such an art and science to making them look beautiful!

o

For the course, I planted some champagne bubbles (Icelandic Poppies) but on Monday my keyworker asked me to plant some cabbages, lettuces and broad beans. He let me do it however I wanted and he was impressed with the results. He said I did a professional job. I just did it how we were taught except I covered the seeds with a thin layer of compost rather than vermiculite. I hope we learn both because when I move to Sweden, my girlfriend and I want an allotment to grow our own veg in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

o

For the course, I planted some champagne bubbles (Icelandic Poppies) but on Monday my keyworker asked me to plant some cabbages, lettuces and broad beans. He let me do it however I wanted and he was impressed with the results. He said I did a professional job. I just did it how we were taught except I covered the seeds with a thin layer of compost rather than vermiculite. I hope we learn both flowers and veg because when I move to Sweden, my girlfriend and I want an allotment to grow our own veg in.

This post was edited by BrianW23 on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 17:10

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here