Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
topnotchveggie

Starting from scratch

topnotchveggie
18 years ago

Hello Fellow Members,

I am new to the world of gardening and through my research I found this great resource. I have always planted a vegetable garden using grown plants, but thought it was about time to gain the experience from seed to table. Let's all cross our fingers. So, here I go with some questions seeking your advice.

What's considered the "correct" way of starting seeds inside? I was in my local shop and they seem to have a wealth of products. For example, do I use the "starter kits" that include a waterproof tray, plastic cells, plastic "greenhouse" tops and peet pellet inserts? Or do I choose the path of using the peet pots, in which I can use the peet pellet inserts or starter soil? Or do I create a customized setup picking and choosing from a laundry list of items? Are the listed items above just good marketing and do I do something different?

In addition, I see a lot of garden resource websites and online retailers pushing the garden lights and heating pads, are these a necessity? If so, what are some makeshift setups you have used in the past? Lastly, where do you recommend setting up the "seed setup?"

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions and giving me insight into the world of gardening. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.

Comments (4)

• philomena
    18 years ago

Hi,

I'll throw my 2-cents in on this - I've only been growig plants from seed for a couple years with ok success, but each year I've learned more. So, these are fairly novice answers, but you'll get another beginner's point of view.

First, I would say to start small - don't try to plant trays and trays of seedlings at first - you'll go nuts trying to keep them all going.

Second, I use those green-house kits (the smaller ones with 36 spots) and they work fine and are re-usable. I use either the Jiffy or Burpee seed-starting pellets - just makes things easier when you are starting out. Just make sure to remove the 'greenhouse' top after the seedlings start to emerge.

Third, as far as I can tell, you will need the grow-lights. Seedlings like about 12 hours of light a day, and you just can't get that anywhere else.The heat mats are handy for getting the seeds off to a real quick start - I use them, and the seeds germinate very fast. But, I'm sure you can get just as good results without the mat - just in a little bit longer time.

Fourth, I've set up my seedlings in any spare place - the basement, the guest bedroom, etc..

The next steps are deciding what you want to grow ! Thats the real fun part :-) I'm trying tomatoes from seed for the first time this year, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Overall, my biggest problem has been the "hardening off" off the seedlings when they go outside. The seedlings have to be carefully introduced to full, real sunlight, or they fry. I've lost lots of plants that way. But, these forums are a blessing - I've found so much helpful advise, its great !

So, I would say just go for it, and see what happens :-)

Philomena

• topnotchveggie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your response, I truly appreciate you taking the time. I was actually looking at the "complete starter kits" just the pther day which include the waterproof tray, plastic cells, plastic "greenhouse" tops and peet pellet inserts; just seems to be the most straight forward approach. (Unless, you and others have any other cost-cutting tips/measures you have taken that have worked in the past.)

Now, I need to figure out what/how to create/develop the rest of the setup using a light (if necessary.) I have seen some of the professional mass produced setups online, which seem to be pretty expensive, (unless I am looking at the wrong ones). so I guess I am at the point to figure out how to build one myself (or with some assistance from the forum.)

I am hoping to plant tomatoes, eggplants, lettuce, cucumbers, and some others (as I continue to keep an active wish list.)

Look forward to yours and others correspondence.

• meldy_nva
    18 years ago

Another 2pennies: and Philomena's advice is right-on! But also get a fan (oscillating if you can find one) to keep the air moving. It seems to cut down the incidence of damping-off and studies have shown that sprouts subjected to gentle movement grow sturdier stems. And re damping-off, I use fine vermiculite instead of soil to cover the seeds. I haven't had damping problems in literally decades. Plus it's lots easier to cover with 1/8th inch of fine vermiculite than to guess the depth with soil.

Re lights: plain ol' flourescent tubes in shop-type holders will work just fine; if the budget permits go for grow-light bulbs, if no $, no sweat just give the seedlings an extra hour or two of light. And a timer is worth every penny! The adjustable-height tables/frames found commercially are really neat but $$$. DH made my frames from 1x1 wood; attached eyes to top of 4' shop-lights and hooks to cross-bar of frame; small-link chain permits not-too-difficult adjustment of distance from tray to light. Not pretty but very effective, cost was minimal.

I consider heat-pads a must if you start more flats than will sit on top of your heater :) Check out prices, but thermostat may be worth the slight extra cost. LV's does not have the usual pre-set thermostat but does maintain a reasonable temperature in relation to air temp, see link.

Here is a link that might be useful: heat mat

• topnotchveggie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Philomena and Melsy for your candid advice. I will be doing some shopping this weekend if the weather holds out, so let me know if I should look for any specific items.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area