Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabrina_gardener

BIrds have been at my seeds-Peas are dying..I think

sabrina_gardener
17 years ago

Hello-I am very new to this forum-one week membership celebrated this past Friday!, and let me tell you I am hooked to the different forums already :). I travel as a Senior Consultant around the globe, but everytime I get a bit of downtime with readily available internet connection, I check my email and then this website. I would appreciate any/some/all feedback to the many newbie questions listed below.

I just took up gardening since my husband and I bought a house in MD. Big yard with lots of trees(35 maples to be exact-anybody want a tree?).Clay soil with stones galore. After reading the forums I was hooked in wanting to start a veggie garden the organic way. Only I wanted to accomplish it this year. So while my husband is busy cutting down the trees because some of them are too close to the foundation of our house, I have started a compost pile from the leaves and clippings for next year. For planting this season I bought Leafgro compost and added that in to my existing soil. Dug and raked until going to the gym was not necessary this past week, bought various Burpee seeds and planted them.

I have quite a few qiestions to ask thus here goes:

1)My peas and the seedlings that had sprouted were left upturned and seemed to have been chewed through, and left on top of the soil. Are birds doing this crime? I replanted the ones that I saw on top of the bed that were whole, but I found the same thing with my cucumber seeds as well- and frankly I am very upset/disappointed.How do I prevent this from happening again you think?

2)Are the ten cent seeds that are sold at Walmart not good quality? I wanted to experiment with different kinds and am wondering if they might be a good option to buy.

3)At Lowes they are selling a fertilizer that is $1.99 (ProGrow II)that lists in the ingredients section as being an all natural compost- humus and fertilizer I think it said on the bag.Buy or stick to Leafgro? I am planning to get ten more bags to use as compost.Anything else I could be using as a quick compost that is going to be effective this year. Otherwise next year hopefully from all my natural clippings, grass,tea bags etc we won't need to buy fertilizer.

4)I bought a couple of Burpee tomato plants from the store. Last year I planted them in the ground(my old house did not have any fertilizer to speak of except Miracle Grow) they died. This year, wait and then plant when bigger?Right now they are in individual pots.

5)I am not home that often, what would you suggest would be good thing to do to care for my plants before I leave?

6)Eucalyptus trees- I saw a unique variety growing in the Blue Mountains in Sydney, Australia a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone know what they were or where I can get the seeds for them?

7)Tropical fruit/tree store in MD? Would you happen to know where one would exist in the DC area?

Thanks SO much! Believe me- ALL and ANY comments are VERY much appreciated!!

Comments (6)

• vetivert8
    17 years ago

Birds are often the culprits for excavating new seeds; and small rodents.

One system which may work for you is to get some small mesh 'chicken' wire to put over a row of wire hoops pushed well into the ground. Fasten the wire to the hoops. When the plants are up you can either leave the protection there until you're ready to harves - or move the wire across to a new site.

(Aside: if you have found a source of trashed supermarket trolleys those baskets make very good protection for young plants and small patches of strawberries ;-) )

For the euc's: ask on the Australia forum. There are many species of Eucalyptus. Bear in mind that if you get more rain than the Blue Mountains your plants are going to grow much faster.

For the tomatoes - generous holes with the soil well-mixed with plenty of compost, a stake or other means of support, and the recommended serving of fertiliser, followed by reliable watering. A trickle system would probably work well and ensure that the leaves aren't left damp.

For soil-planted plants - you might want to investigate what it would take to install a watering system on an automatic timer. Trickle is probably more economical and effective than sprinklers as such. For plants you're growing on, or house plants - might be worth looking at capillary watering pads. (More forums to look at!)

PS unless you have access to vast amounts of material - and mechanical assistance - your compost heaps will never supply all the organic stuff you'll want in your garden. It pays to allocate a chunk of the garden budget for buying in. If you develop the habit of always adding a couple of gallons of compost to the soil whenever you put in a new permanent plant - and a six inch layer when you renew your beds for annuals and bulbs your soil will steadily improve and so will the water-holding capacity. Mix it through rather than burying a layer. In some soils buried compost can become a toxic mess. Clay can be particularly bad this way. Keep the humus in the top six inches.

If you're not home often enough to water things week by week - a deep watering and a hefty mulch layer can help plants carry over. Usually established plants will be fine. It's just the new ones that are making roots to escape from the root ball that can seriously suffer. Bare-rooted planting can take a year or so to create a decent root mass. With that in mind you might want to work a patch at a time to give the high intensity care needed to get plants well-established.

• sabrina_gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Vetivert8! Appreciate the responses-
    I have a few old laudry baskets that might do the trick!Tomatoes are on their way down and staked.
    I am putting in as much compost as I can to improve my soil this year, and will keep on adding more next year!

Also I planted some tomato, eggplant and pepper seeds in trays 12 days ago and no response yet....the soil was compost and potting. ...am I just being too impatient?
    Thanks again-
    Sabrina

• meldy_nva
    17 years ago

In my garden, the squirrels are so skilled at digging up the pea seeds and seedlings that I have to put wire mesh over the row, and then peg the mesh down. Wire mesh because the little tree rats chewed through all the other mesh covers :(

Tomatoes and peppers usually germinate in less than ten days, although the depth of the seed can affect that timing. Also, I've noticed that quick germination seems to apply only if the soil temp is kept at a steady 72-74°; even one night of 60° can delay the sprouting process by a couple days. I cover my seeds with a thin layer of fine vermiculite and set the trays over constant bottom heat (plant heatmats or the hot water heater) until the seeds are sprouted.

• sabrina_gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks meldy,
    they have sprouted!only a few but yay! but in the md-va-dc area is going to be very very cold for the next few days...what do I do?there is almost no sunshine and my seedlings are coming out....am I going to lose them due to the temp? The inside is usually 67f and almost no sunlight....

• meldy_nva
    17 years ago

What to do is a sort of coin-toss. The baby plants can survive a day or two of minimal light, while temps under 60° will slow their growth and under 35° will kill them. I don't know how many plants or how bulky your trays are. If possible, I'd take the plants outside as long as the air is over 50° - a lot of lumens can get through those clouds; bring the trays in before sunset and put them in a warmish area - 67° is very good. (My trays sit on the picnic table with plastic over them in the day, and then just go on top of the washer in an unheated porch each night.) If it's so cold that you can't get the seedlings into sunlight, then make do with fluorescent lights - even a desk lamp is better than nothing. The more light [lumens] you can provide the better they will do. Put the trays on top of small boxes (or books or cans or anything firm) so that the lightbulb is less than 2" from the top of the tallest seedling. Remember that the heat from the light will cause the soil to quickly dry, so check night and morning.

We are so late into the season that I wouldn't buy special lamps for this year, but watch the sales for a 4' workshop fixture that will hold 4 bulbs -- and next year you will be all set to keep the babies happy regardless of the outside weather. My lights are stored in the attic the rest of the year.

Any seedlings which have already been transplanted, can be protected with an old sheet thrown over and a 1$ clear plastic painter's dropcloth over that. Remove the plastic if the temp gets over 50° (it will likely be over 75° under the plastic, hotter in sunlight). Row cover is a nice alternative to old sheets because it is lightweight, but you may not be able to find any locally.

• sabrina_gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks meldy- those are great suggestions.
    I have a few flower beds that I want to sow seeds in- should I wait till later in the season? or when it gets warm next week?-
    thanks again for taking time to answer my questions!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor