Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stunted carrots?

Posted by heshamsaeed none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 12:58

Any body can help tell me what's wrong with my carrots? I picked this one today 90 days after seeding: short and splitted

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stunted carrots?

I am using containers which are well drained. Watering daily . Any comments are welcome

o

What did you fill the containers with?
Also how big -- deep and wide -- is the container?

o

Carrots have a massive taproot. If the container is not deep enough, the taproot won't have room to shoot down into the soil. How deep is your container?

o

Looks like a container problem, Container should be at least 12 inches deep.

o

Sorry for the late response. Well, my container is about 11 inch (not too bad I guess ). Probably I didn't make good thinning (about 2 inches apart. The one shown here was just close to the wall of the container). However, I feel that 2 inch spacing should yield carrots longer that this .. Am I correct?

One other possibility is Sun. My carrots get direct sun light for about 4 hours a day at maximum (the weather here is warm, and clouds are very rare. Average temperature is 65-80, and the direct sun is hot).

o

Carrots really need six to eight hours of sun. They do decent in partial shade, but for a good yield you need six to eight.

The container seems fine. 2-3 inches is far enough for carrots (I've grown them closer.) And, yes, with optimal conditions 2 inches should yield much longer carrots.

How often are you watering them? They need ~1 inch per week.

o

Yes @Agonistes
I got longer carrots later on, particularly those that were better spaced, and looked healthy and non-splitted. it made me feel happy, and it tasted really sweet. Have a look at the picture. I hope I'll get longer ones next time.
Thanx

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here