Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with definitions of full/partial sun and shade

Posted by sudimari z5 IN (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 21, 09 at 13:25

I have 2 patios that I can grow container plants on. One faces due east. It gets full morning sun until 10:30-11:00 then the overhang shades most of the area. There is one small strip by the side wall that although the concrete has sun, the wall I'm wanting to grow vines on is actually and the planters I'll be using only get full sun until 9:30 or 10:00.

The second patio faces due west. It gets full, unrelenting hot afternoon and early evening sun.

I'm pretty sure the plants on the back/second patio need to be full sun.

What would the vines be considered? And then the pots I sit around the perimeter of the front/first patio? Part sun/shade? Or is that wall of vines going to require a shade vine?

Thanks,
Suz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with definitions of full/partial sun and shade

Full sun is defined as minimum of 6 hours of unobstructed, direct sunlight. Anything less is part shade or part sun, depending on your preference. Afternoon sun tends to be the most intense and often areas that may receive direct afternoon sun but not quite a full 6 hours will happily accomodate full sun plants. Defining shade itself is a bit more complicated, as there are many more variables involved - full shade, filtered shade, dappled shade, light shade, heavy shade, indirect light, etc., as well as what is creating these conditions. You can easily find explanations of these terms if more info is required but generally just knowing that a plant will grow in part shade is sufficient :-)

Sun loving plants will often grow surprisingly well in less than full sun conditions but may become somewhat leggy or not produce as many flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here