Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

gardening websites

Lynn Nevins
18 years ago

does anybody know of other similar websites that are as populated and comprehensive as this one? (I for one am sick to death of all the popups/ads on this site.)

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    18 years ago

You could always install a pop up blocking program...I see no ads at all.

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have spybot. shouldn't that do the trick already? also, it's a matter of principle. I have never been on any other site that constantly burrages CONTRIBUTING members like myself with ads. This is the only site I have problems with. This is why I'd just as soon patronize another site. Tx.

• philomena
    18 years ago

strange - I'm a contributor as well, and I've never even seen a pop-up on this site - and I don't even recall seeing any notices from my pop-up blocker about what it has stopped. I use Firefox as my browser, which has an automatic blocker - and a spybot won't block pop-ups, as far as I know, but I'm no expert in that area. But, DavesGarden is also a good garden forum site, but you'll have to pay there also, to gain access to all it's forums.

philomena

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks. I do know that others on the site have had problems with popups here, as I've seen animated discussion of it on other forums here. Perhaps for whatever reason some of our blockers weren't functioning, but regardless, this site has popups the likes of which I have not encountered anywhere else.

I too use FF as my browser. However, at someone else's suggestion, I just installed a Google toolbar, and suddenly, I don't seem to be seeing popups here anymore! Let's hope it stays that way! :--)

Thanks for the tip on Dave's...

• meldy_nva
    18 years ago

Interesting! I pay, and see no pop-ups, traveling or other ads. There were a few days after iVillage took over, when all the ads descended, but that did stop. I don't know that which browser has any effect (I'm using IE, which is not noted for any ad-blocking ability).

Yippeee -- complain! The lack of ads is supposed to be a benefit of contributing.

As for other sites, I lurk among several, and prefer Taunton's Over the Fence, but I think that's just a matter of personal preference.

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    18 years ago

btw, I have complained, to no avail. I know that lots of folks that used the Birds forum here (like myself) have already jumped ship to another birding website. oh well. tx.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting