Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gardening websites

Posted by yippee1999 6/7 NYC (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 22, 06 at 14:11

does anybody know of other similar websites that are as populated and comprehensive as this one? (I for one am sick to death of all the popups/ads on this site.)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gardening websites

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 22, 06 at 19:00

You could always install a pop up blocking program...I see no ads at all.

o

I have spybot. shouldn't that do the trick already? also, it's a matter of principle. I have never been on any other site that constantly burrages CONTRIBUTING members like myself with ads. This is the only site I have problems with. This is why I'd just as soon patronize another site. Tx.

o

strange - I'm a contributor as well, and I've never even seen a pop-up on this site - and I don't even recall seeing any notices from my pop-up blocker about what it has stopped. I use Firefox as my browser, which has an automatic blocker - and a spybot won't block pop-ups, as far as I know, but I'm no expert in that area. But, DavesGarden is also a good garden forum site, but you'll have to pay there also, to gain access to all it's forums.

philomena

o

Thanks. I do know that others on the site have had problems with popups here, as I've seen animated discussion of it on other forums here. Perhaps for whatever reason some of our blockers weren't functioning, but regardless, this site has popups the likes of which I have not encountered anywhere else.

I too use FF as my browser. However, at someone else's suggestion, I just installed a Google toolbar, and suddenly, I don't seem to be seeing popups here anymore! Let's hope it stays that way! :--)

Thanks for the tip on Dave's...

o

Interesting! I pay, and see no pop-ups, traveling or other ads. There were a few days after iVillage took over, when all the ads descended, but that did stop. I don't know that which browser has any effect (I'm using IE, which is not noted for any ad-blocking ability).

Yippeee -- complain! The lack of ads is supposed to be a benefit of contributing.

As for other sites, I lurk among several, and prefer Taunton's Over the Fence, but I think that's just a matter of personal preference.

o

btw, I have complained, to no avail. I know that lots of folks that used the Birds forum here (like myself) have already jumped ship to another birding website. oh well. tx.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here