Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Protecting from winter winds-basic question.

Posted by GreenHavenGarden 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 14:30

At the risk of sounding completely ignorant, I was hoping to get an answer to this question. While planting trees that 'need protection from drying winter winds', which side does the wind come from that I need to worry about?
I can plant this tree with protection (ie a row of other trees, a shed, the house, etc...) on the North side of the plant, the South side, the East side,or the West. I'm confused as to which would be best. Obviously light plays into the equation too but if I was to consider JUST wind direction-which side should I protect? Obviously I'm not going to hide the tree and protecting all 4 sides. Lol
If it helps I live in Southern CT with woods directly on the sides and back of my property. The front of my house (which also has woods but across the street-I'm the only house in a large cul-de-sac) faces South.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Protecting from winter winds-basic question.

You need to determine the predominate direction winter winds originate from in your area and then block or somehow otherwise protect vulnerable plants that may be located in their path. In the northern hemisphere, winds generally originate from one direction in winter and from the opposite direction in summer......has to do with the location of the jet stream. Your local weather authority should have information on seasonal winds specific to your area available for you.

o
RE: Protecting from winter winds-basic question.

When you look at your wooded area - are the trees generally growing straight up? Or do all the tops look as if they're leaning in one direction? (That's known as 'wind shear' where the prevailing wind is so persistent it affects long-term plant growth. You can often see it in coastal areas and in mountainous areas.)

If your trees are straight up and down then wind may not be a big problem in your yard.

Over winter - there'll be at least one direction the wind blows that will bring rain/snow. And there'll be another that, because of your local topography, will be cold, brisk, and dry. If you are on the south side of a mountain range, for example, the clouds have to rise like a plane to get over the hills - and they dump the rain on the north side - not on your side. What you'll get is a cold, dry and drying wind picking up more water on the warmer side of the hill.

When you're planting your young tree check out ways to give it support with stakes.

Choose a windbreak that filters the strong winds without actually blocking it. A solid structure such as a fence or building can often set up cold swirly air currents that can be almost as pesky as the original wind. You can get this filter effect with plantings and openwork fencing - palings, brush, trellis, for example.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here