Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosgra

Shelf life and storage of granular fertilizer?

miraje
12 years ago

Hi all. I was just curious how long you guys think granular fertilizer can be stored before it loses its potency? Usually it's cheaper to buy the larger bags, but if its shelf life is limited to just a few months or something then I'd probably be better off buying it in smaller quantities as I need it. It's not the weed-and-feed or other mixed products. Just regular 10-10-10 fertilizer.

I'm also looking for ideas on the best ways to store it? We have a lot of plastic kitty litter buckets and ice cream buckets, but I'm not sure how airtight they really are. It would have to stay in our garage, so I think keeping the humidity out would be the biggest issue.

Comments (3)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

It's not going to lose potency I don't think, but the humidity can be a real issue. Many granular fertilizers are very hydrophylic. Unless that triple 10 is stored so that it is air tight, it will absorb moisture, harden into bricks. Are you talking about one bag or one pallet?

• miraje
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's a 30 lb. bag. My garden's still pretty small, so unless I use it to feed the lawn as well, it's going to take me awhile to use it up. I poured it into a Tidy Cat bucket for now. I figured that would be an upgrade from just leaving it in an opened bag.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

It should be just fine!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths