Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help!

Posted by alexia_gardener (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 07 at 14:43

Hi!
I'm form Argentina and have been living in Texas for the past 2 years. We just bought our first home so I am enjoying learning about gardening for the first time. When we bought the house, there were some nice plants already there and we made a flowerbed of different grasses last year. I thought the garden could use som colour so I dug up a flower bed arround our raised deck and planted Cypress vine seeds. 6 days later (today) I have my first sprouts!!!! I am getting VERY excited about gardening but I still dont know very much about anything! Our lawn is a DISASTER! It seems to be 100% weed and a little St. Augustine mixed with Bermuda grass here and there. I fertilized 3 weeks ago and voila! MORE AND STRONGER WEEDS! The lawn is also very uneven because it seems the previous owners had a trampoleen. I would love to fix everything so that we can enjoy our first spring and summer in the garden with our 20 month old daughter, Valentina!!!
First of all... HOW DO I PROCEED WITH THE WEED KILLING? TO I HAVE TO DIG THEM OUT FIRST? OR CAN I JUST SPRAY THE WEED B GONE I BOUGHT YESTERDAY? SOME WEEDS ARE NEW, OTHERS ARE REALLY BIG AND EVEN HAVE FLOWERS ON THEM!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help!

I don't want you to feel ignored, however, you've got more than one problem going on. I'd suggest checking with the Texas forum for general information on growing conditions. Really great people over there!

And check on the Lawn forum for how-to's on improving the lawn. Try to be specific about those weeds! There are lots of pictures on the net, and GW even has a Weed forum which can help you.

You won't find too many people advising use of any commercial weedkiller in conjunction with having a safe area for your baby. Most commercial herbicides just aren't safe. There have been lots of debates here and elsewhere, but in short, the man-made chemicals eventually make way into the Earth's waters which means they eventually [sooner or later and in one or another form] are in the foods you eat. Especially in the Lawn Forum, you will find reference to CMG (cornmeal gluten) as a weedkiller -- this IS safe for use on your lawn, and is extremely effective.

Congrats on the cypress vine, it's noted for attracting hummingbirds, so keep your eyes open for those lovely little creatures.

And, please, watch those caps when typing... it reads as like someone is shouting.

o
RE: help!

Not sure where in Texas you live, but in Central Texas, the time to fertilize is around mid-April. Yep, you fertilized those weeds.
Best thing to do is start pulling them, the ones with seeds first, followed by the ones with flowers. You can mow, but I strongly suggest you remove any weeds that have formed seeds first.
And don't be tempted by the "Weed and Feed" products. Around here, the time to weed and the time to feed are not the same. And the chemicals from one popular product are now showing up in alarming rates in our ground water.
As Meldy mentioned, Corn gluten will work to prevent seeds from germinating, but you would have had to do that in January or Feb.
Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here