Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trillyfilly

Groundcover for Slope in Full Sun

trillyfilly
12 years ago

My boyfriend and I bought our first house about 2 years ago. Off to the side of the front of our house is a small slope which is hideously covered in a thorny mess of something, overgrown grass, rocks, and so forth. It is about 35' long by 8' wide. This year I am planning to get rid of all the unwanteds and put a nice groundcover down instead. I am looking for something with the following criteria:

1. Perennial in Zone 5

2. Something that doesn't flower too brightly at any time. (For example, I don't want bright pink phlox to cover the whole slope)

3. Must take full sun (there is almost no shade available here)

4. Moderate to fast growth

5. I would prefer something that was evergreen and am interested in something that has a nice fall tinge to it.

6. Minimal maintenance.

Here is what I am looking at:

1. Purple wintercreeper : I like the quickness that it covers areas but am concerned that the purple/red will be far too bright in the fall and winter. I was thinking of putting some conifers interspersed but am not sure if the wintercreeper is too aggressive even for ths.

2. Ceratostigma plumbaginnoides/leadwort : I love the fall color on these and the blue seems muted enough. I've heard mixed reviews about whether this is actually hardy to Zone 5.

3. Vinca Minor : I like that it is evergreen, however, again I am concerned about the hardiness in zone 5.

I've also looked into various types of Ivy but do want something a little more interesting. Also, a monster of a plant is not a problem here. It is not connected to other flower beds. It will border the lawn but we can easily maintain that or put up a small border for containment.

Thank you!!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting