Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby Spider Plant

Posted by binkalette Minnesota (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 2, 07 at 19:32

I have recently taken a baby from my spider plant and set it in some soil, while still connected to the mother plant. It is growing and seems to be well anchored to the soil, But I am wondering if I should cut it now, or if it will be better off if I leave it attached a while longer. Also, if I never cut it, will the mother plant eventually wean it anyway? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby Spider Plant

Truthfully? You could have snipped it from the mother plant before you put it in its own pot. ;-) They are pretty much a guaranteed success, I promise. The rooting process might even be slowed down by the attachment.

o

No, I've read up on them before. Your supposed to leave it attatched to the mother plant and start it in dirt because they will fair better and be more adaptable plants. I know you can snip them and put them in water, but they always start out as a sickly green..... :-S I just want to know if it will be better of if I leave it attatched longer...

o

rhizo 1 is correct. Cut it.

o

I have 20 spider babies in a Grow Lab in my classroom. Not only were they cut off the plant when they got in my way in the greenhouse, but they spent a couple of days in a plastice bag before my 8th graders planted them. All are doing fine. When the weather gets a little warmer, my students will take them home so we can start seeds for the school garden.

Eleanor

o

lol, I hope we've convinced you! They do NOT need to be attached to the mother plant in order to grow roots. I also would never start them in water, but stick them right into a good potting medium (in a small container).

The mother plant manufactures chemicals (hormones) that keep those babies small and unrooted when they are attached. You'll see a rapid growth response once you've planted the poor little things.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here