Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Got Tulips as a Present and I'm new to Gardening

Posted by sashelle Florida (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 29, 06 at 20:01

My boyfriend just bought me tulips from Publix, they are potted and one of the pots already bloomed or is still blooming but the other one the tulips haven't opened. I am new to gardening and i love tulips and I want to know what I have to do to keep them alive. I live in Orlando, Fl just so you have an idea of the weather here. If anyone can help I will be VERY thankful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Got Tulips as a Present and I'm new to Gardening

Enjoy them! Tulips expect to bloom during very cool, crisp spring weather -- heat will make them open wide and then call it quits. You can sometimes fool potted tulips into holding their blooms longer, by refrigerating them overnight and keeping them as cool as possible otherwise.

I suspect you are about 500-800 miles too far south to provide the right climate to make it worthwhile trying to keep the bulbs once they have finished blooming, but you might like to try (I mean, if he's real gem of a BF, he might be impressed by the effort you make). If so, be sure to use a bit of liquid plant food when you water them, diluting it to about 1/4 strength. Eventually they will finish blooming; keep on giving them dilute fertilizer and let them have plenty of sunshine until all of the leaves die back. Trim the dead leaves off, and then place the pot out of the way in a cool, shaded spot, and water about every 2 or 3 weeks, only enough to barely moisten the soil. In October, take the pot and put it into the bottom of your refrigerator (it's okay to lay on its side). About 16 weeks later, take the pot out of the frig, water, and set upright in a cool room (no sunny window). Depending on the variety, it should bloom again 4 to 8 weeks later. The blooms likely will not be quite as big as when they first came to you, but that is mostly because the bulbs were pot-bound and possibly not getting the exact nutrients they would prefer. Nevertheless, it can be quite fun to have them bloom again and again.

o
RE: Help! Got Tulips as a Present and I'm new to Gardening

If that doesn't appeal to you, post the bulbs on the trade forum in exchange for something that will be happier in Florida and get new tulips next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here