Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
realms_gw

when can i begin to relocate my garden??

realms
18 years ago

i have never relocated a garden...and am very leary about doing it. in the garden i want to dig up...there are irises, bleeding hearts, yucca, phlox, grasses, asparagus, peonies, cosmos, allium and probably a number of more plants that have slipped my mind right now. i want to amend the soil in that garden and move all the listed plants to a totally new garden. i then want to start a brand new garden in the one i have dug up. can someone please help me with an idea on when it will be safe to dig it up in order to have the plants i dig up survive long enough to be relocated. thank you in advance for any words of wisdom. lisa p.s. i live in brampton ont. canada

Comments (4)

• philomena
    18 years ago

wow, thats a lot of plants to move! My first advice would be not to dig up anything until you have it's new home fully prepared, and you know where each plant will go. That way, you dig up the plant, and immediately re-plant it. I generally follow the idea of transplanting plants when they are in a dormant period, after blooming, i.e. move spring blooming plants in the fall. Seems to me you have a mix of plants as regards to bloom time, for example, the bleeding heart might be blooming in a month or so (depending on the variety), while the phlox would not be blooming until mid-summer. You might need to do some research for each plant as to when they all bloom, and if there are any issues with moving them. But I would make sure to have that new bed ready before you dig up any plant.

Philomena

• meldy_nva
    18 years ago

Philomena has it right, but it cannot be emphasized enough -- have the new site ready *before* digging up anything. Moving plants is hard work and so is preparing a new bed, you'll do best if you only do a bit at a time.

If you don't already have them, I'd suggest using this year to photo what comes up (at least once a week); and spend time to prepare the new area. Do yourself a favor and consider whether to include drip irrigation and hardscaping in the new bed, especially lawn edging with or without a raised wall to edge the bed. Time and money required, but irrigation quickly pays for itself, and a wide mowing edge is wonderful for keeping grass out of the flowers. From the list you give, you have quite a few plants, and some may need to be divided, so be ready to either plant extras or give away the surplus plants.

• realms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

THANK YOU....i have certainly learned alot from yor helpful responses. i will do exactly as you have said re: having the new beds prerared. thanks again for all the educated advice. i love this site!! lisa

• Nurmey
    18 years ago

Hi Lisa
    The good news is that the perennials you listed are hardy and hard to kill. Your peonies might be upset and not bloom this year but don't worry they will forgive you. Make sure to get as big of root ball as possible on all of them (some will be huge, peonies and yucca for example).

I move plants all times of year but a lot in the spring (I'm a constant bed re-designer lol) but the trick is two fold. As mention, get the bed ready before you move and plan on almost daily watering for a couple weeks until the plant re-establish themselves.

DO NOT fertilizer immediately after transplant! It stresses the plants more than they already will be. I really don't fertilize my perennials at all but fertilizing when the plant is stressed is a common mistake so I thought I would point it out just in case.