Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
metazu

Moving stuff around

metazu
15 years ago

Hi there, well spring has sprung!! woohoo...but first, I have so many questions. I'm a relatively new gardener who bought a house 2 years ago that already had many, many perennial gardens. I spent the last 2 years digging out stuff that just took over the world and finally last year starting to make it 'my own'. My first project to try and complete this year is my front walk way...well at least part of it. I have a front veranda and bought myself a climbing rose bush a couple of years ago...it's bright red, I believe it's called Blaze. Anyhow, it's beautiful and I plan to keep it. I also bought two hybrid teas last year..one big yellow one and a white one. In this garden there is also a small dwarf spirea and a weeping pussy willow. I did plant some blue johnson geraniums as well. Oh and last but not least, there is some heuchera that I tried out last year and I have a Hydrangea macrophylla.

Lots of stuff but really no rhyme or reason to it, other that I just bought stuff I liked. My goal is to keep the focus on roses, but I would really like to fill it up with other plants that are hardy and will compliment the roses.

Question 1: Colour Scheme. I love my red climber and my yellow hybrid tea...should I move the white rose to another area and replace it with a shrub that combines the red and the yellow?

Question 2: Is it ok to move my white hybrid tea, the macrophillia hydrangea, the spirea and the weeping pussy willow all in the spring.

Question 3: Should I be trying to keep a colour scheme of orange and red, or is it ok to throw in other colours and if so, any suggestions?

This walkway is in front of my porch and smells lovely due to the roses and of course is a first impression...I'd like to have it filled up from spring to fall if possible so that it's always very welcoming.

I know there's a lot and I'm sure I have many more questions - thanks for taking the time to read my post

M. :)

Comments (2)

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

sounds like you're off to a beautiful start!

Since you're asking some really specific questions whose answers would be determined to a great extent by your location, you might want to post on one of Gardenweb's Canadian forums.

Best luck!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Developing a "color scheme" in the garden is very subjective - there are very few (if any) design 'rules' about color and what appeals to one gardener may not be favored by another. The short answer is do what you want and what you think looks good together :-) Searching through the archives of the Landscape Design forum might turn up some previous, lengthy discussions on the subject, however, they might just add to your confusion!

Transplanting hardy plants - like the roses, hydrangea, many perennials, etc., should be done as early in the season as you can manage and as soon as the soil becomes workable, ideally when the plants are still dormant. Waiting until too late causes unnecessary stress and can lead to transplant shock. This can also be done in fall as well.

Adding to your garden for season long color is also a very broad topic. Visit nurseries and as many public gardens as you can in your area and at various times and see what they offer or have planted together. Again, plant choices (aside from any hardiness issues) are extremely subjective, depending on the look you wish to foster - a cottage style garden, a more refined, formal look, low maintenance, etc. Just select plants that share the same growing conditions as those you wish to plant with them - for roses, that would be plants that like full sun, rich soil, frequent watering and fertilizing. Hardy geraniums and lilies are good choices.

You might want to scout out any free seminars offered by area nurseries that deal with garden design or locate a garden club active in your area that can mentor you. If you are in to self-study, there are many excellent books on garden design available that will walk you through the basic principles to help you get a proper feel for creating your new space. And books or mags with lots of "real" garden photos will help as well, much like the garden visits. It's a long term process and few get it right the first time - be prepared to dig and relocate each season -)

Good luck and have fun - that's the most important part!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH