Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lemon_poppy_gw

Fungus?

Lemon_Poppy
18 years ago

I worked last summer/fall on a couple of new flowerbeds for this spring. Both of them are oval in shape, 20 ft. long and 10 wide in the middle. Each of them in a couple of spots overlap areas where we once had some Bradford Pear trees. Those trees were lost during the ice storm the winter of 2004, what was left of them were taken down and the stumps removed by a tree service in early 2005.

The beds were edged out for shape, all grass removed, rich new dirt, compost and manure were added and tilled in before winter set in. In one bed we planted approx. 200 various bulbs (tulips, iris', anemones, alliums, etc.) Only the second time I've ever planted bulbs. It appears that at least 90% of the bulbs are coming up. Tulips are blooming nicely, we have a few anemones that have flowered as well as some wee plants like Chinonodoxa and Puschkinia. I'm pretty pleased with my results so far. Except...

I was out there looking around and pulling a couple of weeds yesterday when I noticed this disgustingly, nasty looking "stuff" growing here and there in both beds. I don't have a digital camera so the best I can do is describe it's fugliness.

It looks to me like brains. It's sort of coiled about and curly looking with the color of rubber (rubber band tan my H called it). It's gross. What is it? What do I do to get rid of it...forever???

I took a spade and scooped it up, didn't notice any type of root system to it. My H figures its some kind of fungus and may be associated with the trees that were once there? I don't know but it's N A S T Y looking and I want it gone.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    18 years ago

I wonder if you have a liverwort. In my damp climate, it's a pain to remove, I've even sliced it off soil with my old garden knife. (and I now remove about a half inch of soil of any containerized plant I buy and discard that top material before planting in my garden)

Spraying it with Safer brand algae killer works, but that can damage foliage of plants you don't want injured if you aren't very careful. I find it dies out and doesn't return if you cover with a couple of inches of mulch or compost.

Here is a link that might be useful: liverwort

• lindac
    18 years ago

Dounds like dog vomit fungus to me.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Ick!!

• Lemon_Poppy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Morz and Linda,

Thanks for those links...truly some gross stuff but alas not what I'm finding in my flowerbed :(

Morz the stuff in my garden is not green, it's tan in color.

Linda, this stuff in my garden doesn't lay on top it is in the ground but does not appear to have any roots. It's a mass not at all slimy like the one you showed me.

I have some spare time right now, so I'm going to dig around the internet and see if I can find it.

I'll share when I discover the cause of the fugliness in my garden.

Thanks to both of you for your attempts :)

• Lemon_Poppy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I found it...it's called Peziza vesiculosa.

Here is what I could find about it:

Sporocarp: Fruiting body 2-5 cm broad, sessile, globose, becoming urn-shaped, often contorted when clustered; margin incurved, remaining so in age, at times eroded or cracked in age; hymenium (inner surface) light-brown, pale yellow-brown to medium brown, frequently convoluted or wrinkled; outer surface granulose to furfuraceous, sometimes indistinctly so when weathered, tan, pale-buff, to nearly white; flesh thin, pale yellow-brown, fragile; odor and taste mild.

Spores: Spores 20-24 x 11-13 µm, elliptical, smooth, lacking oil droplets; white in deposit.

Habitat: Scattered to clustered on manure (especially horse manure), and composted straw; common around stables and horse pastures; fruiting fall, winter and spring.

Edibility: Unknown.

Comments: A combination of characters make this Peziza relatively easy to identify. Most obvious is its preference for fruiting in clusters on horse dung or decayed straw. While many other cup fungi also occur on dung, in our area all are smaller, differently colored, or have hairs on the cup margin. Peziza vesiculosa is additionally distinguished by an urn-shaped cup with a margin incurved even at maturity, a wrinkled yellowish-brown hymenial inner surface and a pale tan furfuraceous outer surface.

Here's its self portrait

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1055850}}

• lindac
    18 years ago

Ack!! The evil people eating fungus!
    That is almost worst than dog vomit fungus.....notice I sald almost!! LOL!
    Linda C

18 years ago

lemon poppy, one year in Spring, one time, I did find a 'row' of that 'creature' in your photograph right at the back of a perennial bed against the cement foundation to my house. West side, where all the winter rains off the ocean are blown against the siding, bed really stays saturated.

I never did learn what it was, but raked it apart and it didn't return.

And I've never added horse manure or straw as soil amendments, so those aren't the only things that contribute to it's growth :)

• Lemon_Poppy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LindaC, Evil people eating fungus huh?? LOL...geez the names we come up for this fugly stuff :)Whatever it is, it sure is gross...blech! I found some more of it today, scooped it and tossed it. Hopefully it goes away soon! As my granddaughter would said...that's naaaaaasty!

morz... This is probably a silly question...but what animal should the manure we put in our soil come from? (*please do not say human*) The compost/manure we purchased and put in our beds was in bags, I had no idea where the manure came from. I assumed cows...but didn't ask. Seemed like a silly question to ask the folks at the garden center. "Ummm...would that be cow poop or horse poop in them thar bags?" LOL!!

18 years ago

Chicken and steer are the two most commonly found here, along with compost made from undigested by any animal plant remains. Mushroom compost (the medium in which commercial mushrooms have been grown, not composted mushrooms), although the PH of that one is high for acid loving plants and it's expensive.

The one I buy most often is a combination of very aged steer manure and decomposed sawdust (it's odorfree, looks about like soilless potting mix). But also available are horse, llama, rabbit and zoo animals! Well, actually products originating from city waste facilities too, but I've stayed away from those myself. They might be perfectly acceptable, it's just the idea....