Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelnstuff

Will you help me plan my garden?

angelnstuff
13 years ago

Hi, I'm kinda new here,Ii joined awhile back and I don't remember if I ever even posted, don't think I've even signed in since. But I find links from this forum in all my web searches tho, so I thought this would be a good place to ask for help.

We got a small glory blue hydrangea plant the other day from home depot, the tag says it gets 5-6' tall/wide I was thinking of putting it in front of our house (facing west) so it gets afternoon sun, slightly filtered by a big mimosa tree. We also got a pack of purple iris bulbs last weekend I was going to plant in the backyard, but havent gotten around to it yet, so I might put them out front too, I also love hostas, so I was hoping I could put some of those across, and maybe some daffodils since they seem to grow really well here (i see them in everyones yard) I'd also maybe this fall like to add some tulips. Anything else u can think that might look nice with these?

Theres no garden there at all now, so we will have start from scratch till the soil and maybe add something to it to help with drainage? Can you just till the grass in or should we do something else to it first? I dont really know how wide we should make our garden. 2-4 feet from the house maybe? And how far from the house should i plant the hydrangea? and how many hostas should we plant? how far apart? should we plant the iris's behind them or in front of them? (i think theres 18 in the pack) And when planting bulbs, can you use multch to control weeds, or will it block the bulbs from coming up? I have no idea.

Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks!

heres a pic of our house so you can kinda see, not very good stole it off google maps. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/Angel4335/house.jpg

Comment (1)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

Boy......that's a lot of questions to start out with but here goes :-))

First, hydrangeas are really shade loving plants or at least prefer part shade. Ideally, morning sun and afternoon shade is preferred so locating in a west exposure is really not recommended. Ditto with most hostas.

Spring blooming bulbs - like daffodils (narcissus) and tulips - love sun and good drainage. These are usually planted in fall for spring bloom but you can sometimes find started bulbs available in nurseries now for immediate spring planting. Iris also need sun. You can certainly mulch over the top of bulbs - they will grow right through it.

As to preping for a new garden, soil is the most important factor, followed closely by light conditions. I'd recommend removing or thoroughly killing off any grass before creating a new planting bed as any remaining roots left in place will just create weeding headaches down the road. Adding compost or other organic matter will help to improve any garden soil and can also improve drainage, which most plants require. I'd consider 2-4' to be the minimum planting depth for any new bed, as even most perennials will eventually spread to fill that space, not to mention any larger growing shrub. Obviously, if the hydrangea gets to be 5-6 tall and wide, a 2-4' planting bed is going to be far too small. A greater depth (6'+) will allow layering of different plants to create more visual interest and eliminate the 'soldier' effect of a long and narrow straight line of plants.

As to what else to add to any planting area, the list is endless!! You might want to visit your local plant nursery to see what they have available for planting now and it is also helpful to visit any local public gardens to see how they combine different plants. It is important to combine plants based on similar soil, light and watering needs, so do your research before purchasing/planting :-) The same research will give you general information on size and spacing as well. Lots of info available online or you can ask on any of the other plant-specific forums. Be sure to include plants that will remain intact - like woody shrubs and smaller evergreens - in winter months as well, otherwise you will be dealing with bare soil for 6 months of the year.

Gardening and gaining plant knowledge is an endless and always entertaining task, so read, read, read and read some more :-) It might also be helpful to purchase a basic gardening how-to book for general reference purposes and also one on home landscaping. Often, the home improvement stores like Lowes or HD will offer these very inexpensively in their book and magazine department.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor