Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pot'em or plant'em?

Posted by mamimo z5 IN (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 14, 06 at 12:12

This is my 2nd year gardening. Last year was a good learning year and I'm all geared for another year of fun.

Here's one of my project. I've ordered some trees and shrubs from Arborday foundation and I want to see if I can baby them to thrive. The goo-ey, heavy clay that passes for soil in my yard is tough even on my existing trees and shrubs that came B&B/containers. So I'm thinking that I'll pot the bare root "twigs" in some nice, good soil and baby them in a partially shaded area first and plant them out in their permanent spots this Fall. Is this a good plan? Or will they be happier planted in their permanent spots from the get-go? These spots will be in full sun and fairly windy.

Many thanks for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pot'em or plant'em?

I don't recomend babying trees in regards to the soil they will have to grow in.

Put them into the ground and do the best you can. If they don't make it it is only because they aren't suited to your environment. It is much better to have a baby tree fail when it can be pulled out or easily dug out than when it is 40' tall and requires a paid crew to come remove.

amending the soil is usually not worth the bother either since most trees send roots much deeper than it is reasonable to try and amend.

The trees can either handle your soil or they cannot.

o

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 15, 06 at 13:04

I agree with the previous poster....if you need another opinion.
Some of that gooey heavy clay supports some amazing rrowth.
Linda C

o

Ok, tough love it is then! Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here