Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twin_toes

Re-potting Seedlings

Sycamore Lane
10 years ago

I have searched and can't find the answer to this, so hopefully I am not asking something that has been asked before.

I germinated my seeds in very shallow containers (egg carton), and so they all have to be re-planted. I have re-planted them all into Styrofoam cups, and thought that I should use something besides Jiffy starter mix in the cup, because starting mix is for germinating I thought?

So I bought some soil - I have no idea what it was except cheap, but it is hard like a rock when it dries up, and when watering - the water doesn't seep down into it without my poking holes in it.

I think I've done it wrong, so I go back to the store, and I bought potting soil & compost/manure and mixed those together and used those on the next batch. This is extremely wet and holds the water too long.

Thought maybe I should ask now that I've tried everything else first (argh!). Should I re-plant my seedlings in starter mix only, until they are ready to go into the ground? I'm thinking the answer might be yes. If not, can you tell me what I should be using?

Thanks for the help!

Comments (3)