Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trumpet vine

Posted by
andrea New York
(ajmeth@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Apr 27, 06 at 15:07

I planted 2 trumpet vines one on each side of my sliding glass doors out to my backyard. I have never had a flower in 3-4 years. This year I decided to have my husband dig them up and put something else in. He took out one on one side and never took out the other. This was the first year I did not cut it down to the ground. Well the side thats still in has buds all over the branches. I have 2 questions for anyone who knows. 1. Did I cause the problem by cutting the vines all the way down to the ground ? 2. If I did and this vine blooms flowers now, when and how do I divide this vine so I can put another identical vine on the other side? Thanks everyone-Andrea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trumpet vine

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 27, 06 at 16:07

Trumpet vines bloom when roots are well established, the plant has good vitality, and woody tissues achieve a certain genetically predetermined (ontological) age. When you cut the plant back, you reset the ontogenetic clock because new tissues are younger. Confused?

From an old post I left on this forum:
"To a certain degree, the flowering of all (perhaps I should hedge and say nearly all) plants is dependant on tissues reaching a certain ontogenetic age before tissue differentiation into flower structures is possible. Ontogenetic aging is roughly a measure of the number of cell divisions that must occur before flowering. It varies from plant to plant. An illustration of its influence can be seen in the fact that plants propagated from cuttings invariably flower/fruit sooner than plants of the same species from seed. The tissues in the cuttings have seen many cell divisions and are ontogenetically older than tissues from seed, thus they are capable of flowering sooner. It is interesting to note that cuttings taken from basal portions of a plant are more vigorous because they are ontogenetically younger than cuttings from top branch tips. However, the cuttings from the ontogenetically older wood at the upper parts of the plant will flower sooner."

If you wish to read the entire post, I'll leave a link to it, below.

Dividing trumpet vine would be like dividing a woody shrub or tree - not usually propagated that way. Clone from cuttings or basal offsets as they occur. As the plant matures, you will be blessed with hundreds, even thousands of opportunities for new plants as root-sprouts are likely to occur in profusion in the near vicinity of where it's sited. It can be a very invasive weed.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More info if interested

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here