Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rudbeckia_z6

Lots of Flowers; How to Pair Them?

rudbeckia.z6
10 years ago

Thank you, GW members, for providing such an enjoyable forum! I'm new here, am an amateur veg and flower gardener, and appreciate the vast body of knowledge this forum makes available.

Now, may I please tap that hivemind knowledge? I went a little overboard with ordering seeds this year (sound familiar?) and will have rafts of flowers that are winter-sown and also under lights in flats.

Many are new to me; most are perennials. In contemplating them all and considering height, color, type of foliage, light needs....my head started to spin. Which of my flowers would make the prettiest pairings (or triplet combos?)

My situation: I have 9 3'-by3' raised boxes in my front yard. Each one has a dwarf fruit tree, leaving plenty of full-sun area for flowers. I also have sunny spots in the backyard that could harbor a flowerbed or two. May I ask, how would you combine the following flowers? I would be very grateful for your ideas! I have some, but I enjoy learning from others more experienced than me. Thank you in advance for any insights!

Canterbury bells mix
Monkshood, aconitum napellus
Helenium autumnale, yellow
Centaurea dealbata (pink)
Centaurea moschata (mix warm colors)
Campanula poscharskyana (purple)
Alcea ficifolia 'Antwerp' (mixed)
Kiss-me-over-the-garden-gate (red-lavender)
Phlox (pink)
Black-eyed susan
Milkweed (orange)
Coneflower (pink, white, yellow)
Four o'clock sweet (white)
Maltese cross
Celosia pampas plume mix
Sunflower mammoth russian
Marigold Harlequin
Marigold crackerjack
Marigold French dwarf
Bee Balm lemon (pink-lavender)