Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of fertilizer for seedlings?

Posted by sportyredsaab 4a (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 20:11

Hi there,

I am growing several types of seedlings under lights (onions, pansies, lavender, coleus, impatiens, tomatoes, broccoli, kale, zinnia, bachelor buttons, etc.). I bought some MiracleGro Tomato fertilizer with 18:18:21 ratio last year and was wondering if I can use this for when the first true leaves start appearing on these seedlings. Can I use this and just dilute it to 1/2 or 1/4, or would a different ratio be better? How often should I use fertilizer?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of fertilizer for seedlings?

These don't need any fertilizing until you pot them up to a larger size container. The MG mix is pretty intense for any seedling - I'd prefer to go with a more organic approach, like fish emulsion. If you DO use the MG, dilute to no more then 1/4 strength.

o

You should start fertilizing with quarter strength miracle gro when seedlings develop two sets of leaves. Bottom water.

o

I bought some fish emulsion and watered the seedlings with their first true leaves with it. We'll see how it goes!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here