Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pufftrinket

Best gardening classes/education?

pufftrinket
18 years ago

I was just wondering....

In your opinion, what are the top three ways to get educated about gardening?

for example, other than just doing it, reading GW, and books- what are the most efficient and economical ways to learn? Is it master gardening classes? Community education? local clubs? free online classes? Other things? I'd like to take a class of some kind. I am baffled by the array of options out there. I though Imight rely on the wealth of experience here for some guidance.

Thanks.

Comments (3)

• lindac
    18 years ago

Hands on......and find a "mentor". There is no teacher like experience.....and reading books.
    I recommend for a start Botany for Gardeners.
    No person teaching a class can know all about most things and if you take a class, you will think you are well versed.....when indeed you have only heard one person's opinion. That's why I recommend books.....and hands on. If it works....you KNOW it's right!

Linda C

• triciae
    18 years ago

I'm a Master Gardener. I loved the classes & learned a lot. But, I wouldn't recommend them for a true beginner. At least in the New Hampshire program there was an assumption that we knew the basics.

Call your local Extension office. Most counties have many free publication for homeowners new to gardening. They will list what does well in your area, for example, as well as having lots of stuff on integrated pest management, disease control, etc. I don't know about your local office...but the one I worked at also had the most extensive gardening related library in the state.

If that doesn't prove worthwhile, your local public library is a good place to start. Once you learn the basics of soil, a little botany, and some common pests/diseases you'll be well on your way. Learning about each different tree/shrub/perennial/annual, etc. will not seem so overwhelming once you understand soil.

While you're reading, you can start watching your garden area and making notes about what areas receive sun/shade at different times of day during which months during the growing season, are there any areas that stay moist longer than the rest of the site, and thinking about what uses your garden will have.

Also, I believe many gardeners will tell you than the "bones" should come first...before plants. By "bones", I mean any hardscape like patios, sidewalks, decks, walls, fencing, etc. Next, permanent plantings like large trees...then, shrubs (both evergreen & deciduous). After those are decided...then it's time to start thinking about perennials & annuals.

So, you'll have lots to think and plan for while you're learning what azaleas need to flourish. Also, ask away on the Forum. Many of us suffer from "Male Answer Syndrome" regardless of our sex! lol :)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

Many garden centers and nurseries have regular classes and seminars on a wide range of gardening topics and they are usually free. Joining a garden club is a great way to hook up with a more knowledgeable gardener as a mentor (great advice, Linda) as well as socialize and often trade plants with other like-minded souls.

And, though the title is rather unfortunate, "Gardening for Dummies" is a great beginner text that will take you through gardening basics like soils, evaluating sun/shade, what those mysterious plant terms mean, etc. Once you get past the basics there are thousands of other great gardening texts that will extend your knowledge. I know of very few great gardeners that are not as obsessed with gardening books as they are with the plants themselves.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals