Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dalans

establishing a new garden

dalans
14 years ago

Hi everyone

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I reclaimed my garden this spring. Some of the plants were beyond recovery, and I had a lot of weeks to contend with, but I managed to carve out a nice area (I expanded to get rid of some lawn), and I think it will be really nice. I have a couple of rhododendrons (one over 5' x 5' that I just bought from a neighbour and transplanted), several perrenials, two small cedars, ground cover, etc... I think the choices were okay for an East-facing area (part sun). The soil looks rich enough, and maybe a little dense. I may have to mix in some sand or something next year - I will see if it looks like drainage is an issue.

Now I am wondering what (if anything) I should do in terms of fertilizing to assure that the garden does well this year and more importantly is well esablished for years to come. I have heard conflicting reports, as in

theory one: dont fertilize the first year, especially large plants like the rhodo, just let it recover from the shock it is in

theory two: fertilize everthing with a balanced fertilizer now and treat with bone meal in the Fall.

theory three: fertilize everything with manure now to assure needed bacteria are there

theory four: don't do anything before you test PH and NPK and only adjust as necessary

What makes the most sense? Are there other tips or resources you recommend for me?

Thanks all,

Dave

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County
More Discussions